Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There's something else I've seen many times and have shot several elk as a result. Watch for a herd moving out of the timber into the open right before dark. If you see that, be there before light the next morning because more often than not they'll still be there.

And when the move out in the AM, once they clear the timber, who ever had the cow tag puts a CNS hit on the lead cow. This puts the whole herd in a state of confusion causing them to mill a bit providing a good opportunity for your party to fill some more tags. They won't just stand there, they will be moving, but they will present a good opportunity for the hunters who are comfortable taking moving game.

Last season I shot the lead cow as the bunch entered a small meadow. First in line was a spike, then a big calf,, then the lead cow. More, then the herd bull bringing up the rear.

Talk about milling around! A big 6x5 stood there, looking at me less than 150 yards away as I walked over to the downed cow. And me with only a cow tag in my pocket.

Eventually the bull got everyone organized, and they all swung a big arc around me at ~200 yards away and loped over the hill.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.