*Casings from Syracuse Casings (I go pig and 35-38mm or 38-42mm)
*Cube the meet and coat with a salt, pepper, garlic mixture (I also add ground, dried red chili I get from NM for a little kick). Coat the meat before grinding and grind twice to mix spices.
*Course grind and then run through the grinder a second time at medium.
*I would go 70/30 pork to deer (I buy pork butts at Costco for pork). Leave the fat cap on the pork butts.

I have an easy to disassemble smoke box I made of plywood that's about 4'x4' to cold smoke. I roll this over a small Weber grill with mesquite logs burning inside and lid closed. I use the vents on the Weber to regulate smoke. I also have vents on the smoke box. The plywood is too short on one side--I use this as a vent in conjunction with a 1x6 that I can move around to adjust flow. I also sit a log on the ground and place the smoke box on the log under the opposite corner of the vent to allow air to flow from the bottom. My grandfather used his well house as a smoke box.

ou could probably use whatever hardwood logs you want within reason. I think my grandfather used whatever limbs he trimmed from random hard wood trees around the farm.

I do not use cure in that it changes the taste so prepare at your own risk in that you can run into a botulism and other problems without cure. To limit this risk, I only smoke on cooler days. Ideally in the 30s or low 40s Fahrenheit or colder. I only cold smoke for three hours or so and watch the temperature in my smoke box trying to keep it cool in there.

This basic method goes back to at least the time of the Civil War in German and German speaking Moravian communities in South Texas and for all I know may have come from Europe before that.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 08/02/21.