Not a gunwriter either,

Getting good accuracy with cast bullets in rifles, especially .30 caliber rifles, is a lot more simple than most want to make it.

In the .308, 7.5x55 and 30-06 I've used Bullseye, Red Dot, Unique, AA#7 and 2400 with pretty much equal success. If you pinned me down to one powder for just target shooting, it'd be Red Dot, it's amazing in .30 caliber rifles.

With a plain-base commercially cast bullet you're obviously going to be target shooting rather than hunting, so don't worry about setting velocity records. With my Swiss K-31 7.5x55 I loaded a 150 gr. plain-base flat nose bullet to just under 1100 fps using B'Eye or Red Dot and ultimately attained an Expert classification at our local High Power (reduced course) matches with said load. My most accurate .30 caliber cast loads generally run 1400-1500 fps. If you're looking for much over 2000 fps, you may as well go back to jacketed bullet as that's getting close to the practical upper limit of lead bullets.

I don't obsess over sizing either. .309" has pretty much worked for me in these calibers.

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor