Originally Posted by Aspencreek
I'd agree that the 17hmr is not a good choice for coyotes in virtually all cases and glad to hear you are getting that 223 by the door instead. Even with good shot placement, there just isn't much energy in the 17hmr for a coyote, especially as you get out to 100+ yards. Thankfully you must be a good shot (and maybe a bit lucky that he didn't run) as more often than not with a non-immediately lethal impact they'll spin for a moment then bolt off into the brush never to be seen again. I've never gone down that small in cartridge on one, but I have shot a few with a 17 Hornet which has about 3 times the energy at 100. The coyotes I got that were 100-150 yards dropped instantly with barely a twitch, but the one I took at 250 yards spun like yours and took a follow up hit to put down. Now I keep it to a minimum of a 204 Ruger or 223 as I want them anchored instantly as much as possible.

I agree. I have seen a few coyote shot with the 17HMR, none were DRT and all needed at least 1 additional fatal hit before dying. I have found that the 17HMR is a more effective killer of small varmints, those weighing under 10 lbs., than those larger and heavier. Out to 75+/- yards I have found the .22 Magnum to be a better, quicker, killer of 'cats, coyotes, and foxes than the 17HMR. While the 17HMR is almost always more accurate than the .22 Magnum, the heavier bullets do a better job on heavier game.