Shelton573: I also have owned a BUNCH or Remington 788's and have experienced neither of the "problems" you "have".
Although I never recall loading empty brass in my 788's chambers - nor any other Rifle for that matter - I guess I do not understand your "fitment" complaint/purpose?
Each and every one of the 788's I have owned shot/shoots VERY well indeed - especially considering the bargain basement prices I paid for them.
FOOLISHLY I sold several 788's and now wish I had them all back - nowadays I see 788's selling on the used market 3, 4 and 5 times what they sold for new!
Anyway I know they are not the most beautiful or the most well made or most hand fitted firearms out there but they are reliable and in my experience quite accurate with tuned handloads.
I shot my 788 in caliber 223 Remington just last month in fact and no failures to extract or eject occurred in that sight in session (new scope swapped onto it) nor do I ever recall one occurring previously.
The 788 does a lot of things well and has done them for a very long time (starting back in 1967 IIRC) at a previously very affordable price.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy