Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
Yeah, I fish between Florida and Mississippi. grin My go to for the species you mentioned is a small treble hook, 8-10# mono with live shrimp, finger mullet or croaker, in that order. No corks, swivels, weights, leaders, kitchen sinks, etc. It's a no go in Fla. with the treble and live bait though.

We've just about hot it covered then. I fish from Mississippi to Mexico. It's hot now, so other than redfish, most of our efforts are at jetties and near-shore for trout, tripletail and tarpon. My boat is too small for long range offshore trips, so I gotta hitch a ride with the rich folk. The continental shelf is 100 miles out of Sabine at the Flower Garden Banks. (The world's north most coral reef.)

Lt., if you didn’t know it, Lake Ponchartrain is a Tarpon Mecca of sorts and is generally overlooked in favor of the area west of Southwest Pass of the Mississippi River.

The Lake has had several come out of there over 200#s.
we catch big tarpon here off bob hall pier I've caught two over two hundred.

Y’all catch and release, Roger?

Man that had to be a helluva fight.
yes catch and release only, they have a tag now you can purchase for one 80 inches or greater in length. my biggest was 77. My brother caught one off there that would have probably gone 8ft.

Out of interest, what baits were y’all using for the Tarpon?

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.