Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by 577Nitroexpress

Question for the 1886 owners:

I just purchased a new Moriku 1886 Deluxe in 45-70, what I want to find out is if the actions are the same for the 45-70 and 45-90, IE: do they lengthen the 45-90 version or make any internal changes? I measured mine and bolt face to breech face while fully open is almost exactly 3". Can somebody with a 45-90 please measure theirs to see if its any different?

Thanks!
577Nitro JES

The actions are "the same" in terms of length and parts. Conversion consists of a re-chamber, and then running a .45-90 dummy though and seeing if there's anything around the loading gate, shell lifter etc. that needs a little tweaking for the larger round. The resulting rifle should feed and shoot both rounds up to a 2.75ish OAL in both rounds.

I do believe some of the factory Miroku .45-90s may come with slow twist barrels, which is not desirable IMO. Others definitely are 1:20". I'm not sure other than testing how to tell which is which. I think all their .45-70s are fast twist.

Thank you Sir! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm thinking about re-chambering in either 45-90, or a long throat 45-70 so I can use 500gr bullets without seating them so far down.