Originally Posted by Burleyboy
With elk I believe you should keep shooting until they are down and not getting back up. I've been fortunate that most of mine have gone down with one shot. I did have one a few years back that I had to put 3 rounds into of 180g NABS from a 30-06 at about 425 yards.

The one I shot last year with the 7-08 150 eldx the first shot looked like it only penetrated about 6" the 2nd one blew up too at the neck body junction but it put it right down even though it didn't penetrate very deep. I was only running them at a MV of 2650.

The 180s are now shooting great in the little 7-08. So I'll see how they do on game at some point. I'll probably be using something else on the bull tag I drew this fall. My old standby custom 300 wsm with 215 hybrids puts elk down quick so far. It makes tennis ball size holes through deer and antelope. I have several rifles but my 300wsm has earned a lot of trust from me. It's a 24" fluted #4 brux on a stiller predator. It's not too heavy to carry easy and shoots great at long range.

Bb

What action and COAL?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!