Originally Posted by wink_man
I have one 336 with a Denver Redfield 4X with a post/crosshair reticle and a second one with an El Paso Weaver V4.5 1.5X4.5 with duplex reticle and tv view ocular lens. Both mounted in Weaver Pivot mounts with low rings.

A Denver Redfield Widefield 1.75X5 or a Redfield Lo Pro Widefield 2X7 with either a duplex or post/crosshair are also nice options. Just avoid the "tapered" reticle in the older Redfields, they are very difficult to see in low light situations.

However if you still hunt in situations where you'll jump a buck and only have a split second to get off a shot, then the Leupold Vari X III in 1.5X5 trumps all of them. It has a wide field of view at 1.5 and the most "useable" eyebox of any scope around in my opinion.

I'd second this in regards to the 1.5-5 Leupold. Perfect lever action scope in just about every regard, especially if you can find them in gloss. I have 5 of that model currently in service on Marlins, a savage 99, and BLR's. I recently had a 2-7 gloss compact Leupold on a steel receiver BLR 358 go TU, and I've had trouble with other Leupolds, but the 1.5-5's have been solid so far. Being that there's not a lot of options out there for nice trim 1" gloss scopes these days, I hope they keep holding for a long time.

I have a couple Made in USA Burris Short Mag 2-7's on matte finished levers, and they've proved to be exceedingly tough. They look nice on a lever, but they're harder to find than a 1" 1.5-5 these days.

Mostly for lack of something comparable, recently picked up a Korean made Bushnell Prime 1-4 with illuminated German #4 for a Henry in 45-70. Really like the reticle and looks of the scope; wish it were 1", but is what it is these days. Not sure how reliable it'll be, but reviews were good and I figure I'll know soon enough how much recoil it's good for.