Originally Posted by drover
I like the ones I watch to have at least a semblance of authenticity to them. I have never been able to stomach any of the spaghetti westerns.

My favorites, not in any particular order - with comments

Appaloosa - a darned good one, it didn't drift too far from the book but I wish that they had put just a few more backgound details in it.

The Rounders - a great western, I have known characters like those two all my life, well played.

Tombstone - Kurt Russel and Val Kilmer made it a very believeable and enjoyable movie.

The Big Country - Entertaining, all of the characters were very well played especially the one played by Burl Ives.

True Grit - the John Wayne version was entertaining but the Jeff Bridges version caught the feel of the book and the era.

The Searchers - great acting and scenery, a little hokey at times but still the best acting job John Wayne ever did.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - great movie, great acting by everyone in it.

Will Penny - another under rated movie, probably a little too true to life for most folks.

Open Range - probably the best movie Costner made, especially the gunfight at the end.

Lonesome Dove - the movie was better than the book, a rare occurance.

Monte Walsh - Jack Palance & Lee Marvin version - another great movie.

Tom Horn - slow but good.

Ulzanas Raid - great movie, one of the best Burt Lancaster ever did.

Red River - John Wayne as a very dark character - excellent.

The Gray Fox - about the last train robbery - interesting story and the star is Richard Farnsworth likely hard to find but it is worth it.

drover

+1 on the Gray Fox

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....