Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Hastings
Get a few big gator hooks. If you don't know where a big gator is get in a boat at night and go find one. Set the hook far enough above the water so a little one or a turtle can't get it. Use about 20 or 30 feet of line. One of the best baits is a road kill squirrel, push the line through the squirrel from butt to mouth with a steel rod. Tie a hook onto the line at the mouth end of the squirrel and pull it back tight against his mouth. Hang the bait using a clothes pin on a low limb to hold it just tight enough so the gator can pull it down. With enough line he should swallow the bait before the line gets tight. Next morning pull the gator to the boat and shoot him in the brain. This way he doesn't sink in the lake and you lose him as he might if you make a shot on a free swimming gator with a very small brain.

This man knows what he's talking about.

Not allowed in SC. You have to harpoon, fish arrow, snare, or snag with heavy tackle and can’t shoot them until you’ve got them under control. No shooting free swimming gators, not even allowed to have a rifle in the boat…large caliber handgun or bang stick only. Should be exciting.

Alligators are pretty dumb...until they get big. "Big" meaning 10' or better. A lot of the time, we can't even use a top water lure because of them. Honestly, if I wanted to arrow a big one, I'd look for the places where people have been feeding them.

On the college campus where I worked when we first moved down here, they’d have a summer program for kids that had a fishing component. In the pond, there was a 4 or 5 foot gator that would go running across the water after any fish a kid had on that broke the surface.

Mathew 22: 37-39