GDV yup 5744 am good stuff. I shoot several pounds of it a year. I do find it works better in 40bore and up, than it does 40 down.
I have not used any filler until the other day when messing with some 400 gr snovers intended for the 40-65, in the 405. Was messing tying to get them to group with not much luck they were just a touch undersize. Then I recalled a fella on another board that uses quite a bit of 5744 saying that he used a 1/4 toilet paper square rolled up and stuffed on top the powder. So I decided well why not. Presto groups came in respectable, and after I figured out that 38 type sight didn't need to be all the way up to shoot the 800 yd target , we started ringing the bell waaayyyy out there.
I have used waxchecks quite often with 5744 especially when shooting really soft bullets.
I like the stuff quite a bit, and always kinda figured that the folks whining about the old maid kernels it will leave behind are probably pretty much girlyman shooters anyway.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com