Originally Posted by Jstocks
Probably about as popular as someone posting asking for help to learn turkey hunting in my part of the world, but here goes nothing.

I’m not looking for a state, unit, or none of that. I’m asking because I want to learn and I want to try a hunt in the next couple of years.

During the rut and the earlier seasons, on public land, where do you find elk? Meaning are they typically in a higher altitude, and pushed back into deeper thicker stuff when pressure starts?

Also, I’m an “easterner” so I don’t know what I don’t know. Are atv’s used to get back further down trailheads out west, or do people have to walk or ride horses to get back away from the crowds?

A lot of Good Info here So Far, and I'm Sure More will be Coming!

Let me ask You a few Questions? What your Age? What shape, physical Condition are you in? Do you Hunt Now? What kind of Hunting do you Do?(If you Do) Rifle? Bow? Muzzle loader?
Don't Misunderstand me, By no means should you let any thing stop you from Trying!
In my opinion, there's several levels of Hunting, Especially, Elk Hunting!
Tips:
Read as much as you Can! Watch Meat Eater Com Cast Videos! To Me their the Most Real, and Down to Earth! IMO!
Yeah there's a lot to it, and a lot Depends on what your Capable of, and Familiar With!
One of the Biggest things that Experienced Hunters Talk about today, is having enough points to get Drawn in Some Good Areas! So one might Start to research ares of interest and Put in for Hunting Points, Cuz Before you know it 10 yrs. go by, and you Don't have any points! So while your gaining experience and learning, for a small amount you can stack up points!
My oldest Son has taken me up on that Same Advice, and he's acquiring some nice, Stacks of points, in Several Areas, at a fairly young age!

I know this is a lot kinda Fast, But Remember, it's a Marathon, Not a Sprint!

Getting in Shape and Getting Acclimated, is the Big Thing!
That's Why we Go in Several days Earlier!
Hydrate, Hydrate, and Hydrate!

One of the last National Average Stats I saw was that it usually takes a Bow Hunter 10 Trips, on Average, to Nail One!

HS58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!