Thanks for all the replies fellas. To answer some of the questions posed to me:

Yes, I’m an avid hunter. I’d say above average. I’m 40 years old and raised in the South. I’ve hunted various game in ~20 states. I’ve killed my share of turkeys and whitetails. Probably raise in some of the toughest woods and swamps to hunt that type game.

As far as shape, I’m a lil overweight and could stand to lose 30 lbs, but I’m fairly athletic and weight comes off fairly easily for me. When I set my mind to it, I can stick to a regime of exercise and diet.

I’ve hunted the Frank Church before for mountain lion twice. Following the dogs from the creeks below up and over the top of the ridges all the way above tree line was quite an experience. It’s been a few years, but I remember the terrain.

For elk I plan on hunting September wherever I decide to go. I’m really leaning towards doing some of the easier draws and otc stuff. I haven’t completely ruled out landowner tag type hunts, but I think I’d be more satisfied with public land diy.

Part of what I love about this type of stuff is researching new gear, maps, talking with new people, etc…

I’m not a trophy hunter, so trophy quality areas are least of what concerns me about the planning. Pretty much want to hear some bugle, work at learning how to hunt them by their habits, and any legal game that I feel confident on the shot will not be passed.

I’m good at reading maps and gps, and I can pick out terrain features to narrow scouting down to specific features and areas.