Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
I've tested one out for over a year and surprised at how reliable it's been.
It's probably three or four times heavier than a disposable and needs recharged. That's about the only drawback I can think of.

I still prefer scripto clear. Maybe it's because I used a disposable butane lighter all of my life. I adjust them high, which is why Bics aren't for me. You can even take them apart to set the flame higher.
The only true advantage I can see to the plasma type is that it doesn't blow out with wind. Also, wet hands don't touch a striker and make it wet and unable to ignite.
These are the few considerations besides going for one with a good review.
I'll take a Zippo any day over a disposable for emergency use. For one thing, you can light a Zippo and set it down. You don't have to keep your thumb on it. That gives you both hands free to handle the tinder. Lighter fluid will light at any temperature or altitude, unlike butane. I've done a number of demonstrations for scouts comparing the 2 types for fire building in bad conditions. Zippo wins.

I see plasma lighters as a very good tool for the outdoors but I want my Zippo in my pocket for a backup.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.