Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
If your a zippo fan or already have a zippo they offer both plasma and butane inserts now. Have not tried the plasma but the butane are very nice. Love a zippo but don't use enough to run lighter fluid. Butane solved the problem.
The advantage of fluid in a Zippo is so it will light in the cold and and high elevations. Also, you don't have to keep your thumb on the lever so you can set it down and use both hands to hold tinder to start a fire. The prices I've seen of a plasma insert to use in a Zippo case are higher than just buying a plasma with it's own flip top case. The only advantage of an insert is if you have a designer Zippo that you want to keep using.

Agree there are distinct advantages to lighter fluid in a zippo. I have the original insert and still use it when I know the odds are good I will be using a lighter repetitively or in certain conditions. Mainly deer camp. The butane is more the everyday carry insert. I know it won't dry out and it is way more reliable than than a cheap gas station flicker butane lighter. Got so sick of using a butane lighter once or twice before it would refuse to light.