Hey there. I posted this over on Rokslide but did not get much in the way of responses so I figured I'd throw it out here.

My buddy and I have done a couple of DIY OTC rifle hunts in CO, both unsuccessful. We would like to harvest an elk for the meat, we're not necessarily all that into antlers, though a bull would be nice someday. So at this point we're interested in a DIY cow hunt. I've seen the comment/strategy of doing a cow hunt while building points for a bull hunt. We'd be interested in that possibility, maybe learning an area via cow hunting while gaining points for a future draw hunt in the same area.

What do you all think is the "best" state for an NR rifle cow hunt? By best I guess I'd mean likelihood of getting a tag, numbers of elk, hunter success, tag cost, etc. We have I believe all the gear we need. Would probably be most likely interested in a hunt where we'd be truck camping.

If there are other aspects of this that are important to mention, feel free to throw them in. Once we determine which state we'd prefer then I'll dive into the info on that state's site and start doing more in-depth research.

Thanks for the help!