After running perilously low on Federal Premium Sabot Slugs (the hour glass slugs), and not being able to find any more, I started stocking up on Hornady SST 300gr FTX slugs. They have good reviews on seller sites. I figured it would be just a matter of tweaking the rear sight a bit to hit substantially the same as I did with the Federals. I'm shooting an Ithaca M37 with a 24" rifled Deerslayer barrel and shooting from a Caldwell Lead Sled DFT2. I was getting around 2 inches at 50 yards over open sights, and around double that, maybe a bit more, at 100 yards. These were consistent groupers. And accuracy was acceptable for a stand gun or thick woods where shots are almost always well under 100 yards. I figured the Hornadys would be at least as good. Not my experience.

These are fire breathers. They have a helluva muzzle flash even on a bright day. And they are heavy on the recoil. Muzzle jump is substantial. All that's okay if they're accurate. But they were shooting all over the place. At 25 yards before I adjusted my sights (which were set for the Federals), they were about 4 inches right with a wide group. I had to move my rear sight over to the point is was noticeably overhanging the base to move the group left. At 50 yards, the groups opened to about 6-7 inches. At 100 yards, they were producing 12"+ groups. Absolutely no consistency at all. Some 6 inches high, some 6 inches low, some 6 inches left, some right, and a few where I aimed.

On top of that, some of the shells rattled like the sabot and bullet were loose in the shell.

Anyone else try these slugs? What's your experience with them? I'm disappointed. I mean, I expect a gun to shoot some rounds better than other, but damn, these were crazy. I'm just not going to be able use them. They turned my gun in a 50 yard gun, tops.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/16/21.