Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
The good guy was really slow on the uptake. This is not a good example of what to do. It is not close to perfect. How any "expert" could characterize that as perfect is beyond me. Luck is not a strategy. BTW, I thought I heard two shots off camera, but Correia did not mention it.
I don't see that he really did anything wrong. While he was approaching its clear he was still evaluating the situation. The good guy is in good physical shape, and he knew he had a lot of maneuvering room. As soon as he realized the other guy was hostile, his hand went into his pocket, and he started putting distance between him and the perp. Then he did everything in his power to avoid having to shoot the perp...again, very smart. Once you pull the trigger, your life changes. Better make sure you really have to. I'd say the good guy did a pretty good job. In the real world, it's never perfect.

OMG, really? Here is my breakdown. The good guy (GG) is walking up to his vehicle and the rear door is open and there is a guy’s (BG) head bobbing up and down inside the vehicle. That seems like something that should set off alarm bells, right? GG walks into the frame with his gun hand out of his pocket. GG walks toward BG at a disadvantageous angle on camera rather than moving to his left off camera and coming up from behind the bad guy. He then walks in toward BG with his hand out of his pocket like he is walking up to ask any guy on the street a question. While GG is still a few yards away from BG, BG turns and clearly has a tire iron. GG still keeps walking toward BG and still has his hand out of his right pocket and continues to carry his bag in his left hand even when faced with a deadly weapon. BG even lifts the tire iron twice and GG is still closing, hand still out of pocket, and still holding his bag in his left hand. After that, his brain goes “duh, maybe I should put my hand on my gun and start backing up." He starts backing up, tentatively, 19 seconds into the video while reaching for his pocket with his right hand. By this point, predator BG knows that this guy is an idiot and decides to spook him by trying to scare GG away with the tire iron. You can see how BG stops toward the right of the frame, thinking he chased GG away. GG doesn’t even decide that he needs to drop his bag until 8 seconds after he starts backing up. (Bonus points would have been awarded to GG for using it as a distraction device at some point.)

Had BG wanted, he could have bashed GG’s head in before GG could have done anything. BG got complacent and allowed GG to FINALLY get his act together and get the drop on BG.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln