I’m currently reading Rick Atkinson.

The Army at Dawn is about the North African Campaign. Good book, Patton didn’t shine there as much as I thought.

I found the Day of Battle about the Italian Campaign to be the most tedious, reflecting the hard drudgery of that theater. An Allied offensive handicapped by the diversion of resources to the upcoming invasion of Normandy.

Currently I’m on The Guns at Last Light, Monty has just bullheaded through the disaster of Market Garden and equally bullheaded American Generals are feeding GI’s into the meat grinder of the Hurtgen Forest and the Siegfried Line.
After sweeping across most of France in four weeks the Allies have been stalled for six weeks.

One thing Atkinson does really well is describe the role of logistics, and also the human cost of war. For example I had no idea that the Germans lobbed literally hundreds of V1’s and V2’s onto the port city of Antwerp after the capture of that city by the Allies.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744