Originally Posted by Boise
Journeyman, I have been using this knife for the last 8 years. I bone out a deer, touch up the edge, then finish it. I like the flex level. I'm interested in your comments/suggestions.

BTW, I don't have pictures of deer being processed. My hands are always a mess and I never thought anyone would find them of interest.

https://www.amazon.com/Dick-Curved-Boning-Knife-Semi-Flex/dp/B000UBB2UQ

Hey Rick, been a while...

In my world there is the "take home the carcass minus guts", "take home the primals", and take home the "ready to freeze, boned out cuts."

I generally prefer the initial -"take home the carcass minus guts " as I'm much better at separating game than most of today's quote-unquote "butchers."

To that end I generally prefer a top end knife that will get me where I want to be...vs where minimum wage hacks who cut up primals to yield "kind of" premium cuts

All that said - we've discussed the brilliant MS candidate who worked for me a few years ago and did his Masters on just this...and is now an executive at one of the major processing companies and freely shares his studies with me because he's like a son..

He advocates automation to the point where robots do all but the final cuts...and those last super skilled cuts are by "Master Butchers"...and those Master Cutters change the old game of cheapest knife for unskilled cutters...and he recommends F Dick X45CrMoV15 vs the generic 1.419 and "400 series" of the competitors...

I'm not qualified to argue with him, ...SO...we began year before last switching to F. Dick from Forschner on my ranch...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...