Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
You are lucky you have pretty good eyesight. I'd be straining to see anything at 400 yards with a 4 power scope, so I do know how far it is. And yes, I shoot 400+ yards on a regular basis. Its not with that power range of scope though. It would be absolutely worthless to me, the reason rifle scopes are highly subjective.. Hell, I was shooting golf balls yesterday with a 14x and 16x scope. And those were only 50 yards away. What works for you is not going to work for others.
It's more important to have a reticle that pairs well with your target than to have magnification. Not saying magnifications doesn't help, but in HP I use a reticle that allows me to fit within some sort of frame of reference, even though it's only a 4.5x scope. For example, a reticle that fits in the X ring is about perfect with just a little excess around it so the white line is clearly visible. Wouldn't matter if the reticle was so big it just fit inside the 10 or even 9 ring, the same centering principle applies.

Politics is War by Other Means