Originally Posted by GeoW
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Right now mine has a Leupold 3-9X40 with some sort of ranging crosshair. I'm not that fond of it but it gets me by for now. Previously I had a VX-3 4.5-14X CDS .. better choice for my use but that scope is busy on another rifle for now.

It is likely that a lower powered scope has additional tactical utility, however, I have trouble downgrading when I was getting groups under 0.75" for 5 shots at 100 yards.

Tom

This is where I think most get sidetracked when picking a scope. We think we need high magnification and sub MOA to have a useful rifle. I shot this plate with a Colt pencil barreled carbine with a Leupold VX6 1-6 if I remember right. It might have been my Noveske with the Trijicon 1-4 but either way, it was at 400 yards.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I’ll take the utility of a LPVO over a Hubble telescope any day.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
The 1-4 Trijicon Accupower, I sent the 1-6 Leupold down the road and purchased another one of these. I’d buy a third if they hadn’t doubled in price.

What I thought when I saw BSA's show and tell..

I shoot 2" targets at 400 yards too. A little difference there. I wouldn't be able to see a 2" dot with a 4 power scope at that distance. Like I've said before, If I were just shooting man sized silhouettes or 2'x2' steel plates, I would maybe have a change in heart (likely not though). As it is, I can also use the 4.5-14x42 or 3.5-15 scope up close and personal too. Not everyone's eyes are the same. No wrong answer here really, just answering the op with what works for us. If the op wants to shoot small groups at 100 yards, I still stand by my first post. That's not saying you can't shoot small groups with irons either. A lot of it has to do with target size and how it matches up to the power range and reticle of your scope. The irons on my Noveske are a prime example of that: I use an 8" bullseye that matches up with the front sight. Works great that way. I'll be using a 4.5-14x42 scope on my 10-22 tomorrow in a know your limits shoot. That's only 50 yards from the bench to the targets. No one even uses a 4x scope in that event. A 3-9x40 is considered a low powered scope, in fact. My single shot wears a 6-18x40. I run max power in this event. Most of us use scopes with a 14 power minimum. Go back and read my first post, where I say everyone is different. Especially when it comes to our eyes.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA