In Aug. I got a 1899C, has 20" barrel. Doesn't look like it was shortened. Butt stock is a so-so replacement with a recoil pad. Don't know yet what the original butt style was, waiting for a letter from Cody. This week a crescent "rifle" butt turned up on e-bay, I grabbed it, as I have not seen a Savage crescent plate anywhere. The wood has a bubba repair to the wrist, 4 wood screws and glue. Not pretty, but serviceable. Don't have it in hand yet, so I wait to see what bolt length it needs. The bolt length I currently have is the early long one, and the installed stock is drilled for the short bolt, so it was really just a friction fit. I got a replacement short bolt on the 'net, and found that it did not fit - the thread is .004" larger than the original. I cut a spacer from a AA Maglite barrel to make a fit with the long bolt.
The old girl is .303Sav, and had 2 boxes of ammo in the deal, and I have ordered 50 rounds of brass from Brownell, and dies, too. With the .308 bore, I have no shortage of bullets for loading. Condition is very used, but not beat up, price was probably a bit high, but 99/1899s are not common at our gun shows here in NW Arkansas. When I saw the 1/2 octagon barrel, I didn't care what caliber it was. I had been looking for a Savage for a while, this one said "take me home". I found a Marble's S1 flex tang sight. but it is frozen upright, need to find someone who knows how to work on it. Marbles said sorry, no. Does anyone have a recommendation for repair? I have a Marbles folding leaf rear sight to put on, need to get a new front sight, the Lyman on it has lost its bead, and probably won't be the right height for the new rear sight anyway.
One other thing - there is a reimport stamp under the barrel, "DFAC Arlington VA". Maybe came back from Canada? I have seen picture of a sporterized MHG model with the same stamp. Looking foreward to a range day with this and my newly acquired Ithaca
37R 12 ga.

I don't have too many guns, I just need a bigger safe.