So do I like wolves, and not least thru a scope.

Build a fence around the Rez and drop all excess wolves into it. We'll see how "culturally important" they are then.

All of the above support to re-list wolves and the "reasons", are BS. Wolves are the most prolific breeders of any predator, world-wide. It will be nearly impossible for any state-managed program to wipe them out short of all out warfare on them. Including 1080, which would be a bad idea for collateral damage. Under the right conditions, entire packs CAN be wiped out, but it takes effort- and the area is soon recolonized from elsewhere, or from just two survivors, male and female.

IIRC, studies and programs here in Alaska has shown that to give a predator pit population (say that 3 times fast) of cervids , a chance to re-invigorate itself, about 80% of the wolf population (bear predation figures in also), must be taken out for 3-5 consecutive years. In 3 or 4 years afterward, the wolf population will be at the former pre-reduction level.

This is ALL about money (particularly for the so-called "animal rights" groups) , politics, federal usurpation of states' rights, and back door gun control for the liberal sheep donors/voters (you don't need a gun- it's for hunting- and you have no hunt-able cervid populations anymore, so you don't need guns, etc).

I too like wolves.... to a point. I would not want them extinct - but have no hesitation about shooting one if the hide is good, or "as necessry"
as when the dog and I were surrounded and shadowed at close range in very limited visibility, brush-wise. The one thad did show herself now resides as a nice winter pelt on my wall. smile

Last edited by las; 09/23/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.