Myself and two Hunting friends went after Hungarian Partridge yesterday here in the high valleys of SW Montana.
What a wonderful experience it was. The weather was perfect and no wind - not even any smoke in the air (which has been the case for the last 3 months!).
I had not been after Huns for at least 5 years - and that won't happen again.
To say it was a fun/great Hunt would be an understatement even though only 6 Huns were brought to bag.
Two dogs were along - a Black Lab and an English Cocker Spaniel.
I had never had anything to do with this English Cocker Spaniel breed but this beautiful, tiny (maybe 13 pounds?) female was an all day bundle of energy and obedience. This 3 years old Spaniel NEVER got further out in front of its owner than 18 - 20 yards!
It found and flushed birds 5 different times and retrieved four of the six Huns we bagged.
She was the second place star of the day/Hunt though.
The first place winner was my friends new Beretta A-400 XPlor semi-auto shotgun in 28 gauge!
This shotgun was an absolute thing of beauty with perfect balance and perfect shoulder/eye alignment for me.
This Beretta accounted for 4 of the 6 Huns brought to bag.
AND.... I have seen 28 gauge shotshells available just about everywhere over the last year - I don't know why.
Last night when I got home I checked on the Beretta site and the 28 gauge XPlor is priced at (MSRP) $1,500.00.
I have never paid over $500.00 for a shotgun in my life but I am sorely tempted to buy one of these before I cross the great divide.
All is well in Big Sky Country.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: Link to Beretta = https://www.beretta.com/en-us/a400-xplor-action/