Thanks VarmintGuy for the "Rule Book" citation @ P. 164! I'd searched, but missed the small print reference. Wider context momentarily, concurring with the prevailing salute to author Roger. A huge amount of time and resources, with canny deductions as necessary and impressively distinguishing fact from what amounts to expert opinion. A truly "scholarly work achieved!

Returning to the auction rifle. Someone spend a good deal of money (by my standard) to own such a rifle. I'd hope it to have gone to an ardent collector rather than speculative investor or... excuse me.... "artifact nut" I've been such 'nut'! Only differing that my mandated parameters were pretty much the 'wazzit milsurp Bubba specials' at $50 or so "in my days of old"! For me then, and hopefully that well heeled buyer now, exploiting 'hands-on opportunity' to possess, examine & learn in some detail. Such my ever 'gun acquisition' thrill!

Moving to the fact, spurred by technology, that nowadays almost anything can be counterfeited! If current technology exists to "print 3D guns" in homes, is it any great reach of imagination... The "creation of a well tech-crafted... Forgery? Technical challenges, overcome by good gunsmithing, the greater challenge yet of altering nomenclature. We are in an era now of requiring only "will & intent"!
Add the third vital ingredient to most forgeries... "profitability". Dillinger allegedly robbed banks because "that's where the money is". Sophisticated thieves, new ways; classic desire to get to the money/monied folks!

Last shoe, the ability to create paper document "Provenance" forgeries, laughably easy for about anyone skilled in printer tech. The "paper" underlying, as in money, capable of being yet difficult. But most "provenances" neither any special difficult to obtain paper, nor extraordinarily printing methodology employed. If our tech can copy it, our tech can reprint with whatever the content we choose! Only as a yet valid & verifiable issuing source to confirm "ultimate record source authenticity."

Concluding another rant! smile

Best!
John