Going from memory, but I think success on bulls in Oregon runs at about the 15% rate. Averaged, that would be a bull about 1 out of every 6 seasons. I've often passed on branched head gear in Id and Wy, but here I'll drop the first antler spotted. As to serious Booner's, those have to carry some age, and are as rare as hen's teeth. I acquired preference points here for years and eventually drew for one of our two trophy units. Guide said we could be picky, and I'd probably be done in 3 days. Eleven days into the six day hunt I eventually pulled the trigger. A nice six by slightly better than 4 others I have on the wall, but not the trophy I was hoping for. Still though, I've never put a tape to any of the animals take.

I've had a couple seasons where the goal was trophy specific. Always ended with tag soup. Across all of my seasons, I think I've seen three bulls that would have been Booners. Closest was probably 400 yds in a screaming wind blizzard. Might have been able to hit him, but I had no idea where. Passed and took a closer 6 by that was about 150 yds out. Like several have mentioned above, it's getting to where a framed and valid tag is the real trophy.

Now if I would just follow my wife and her cameras around, I'd maybe do a bit better. She scores all kinds of trophies. I have nothing on the wall that even approaches her images.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 1minute; 09/26/21.

1Minute