Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've never bothered to learn how to measure and have no idea of what numbers are considered a really good one other than seeing one with WOW value. It's got to where the hardest part of bull hunting is getting the tag. We'd rather hunt cows than miss out on getting a tag so that's what we've been hunting for the last 5 years. We can get a tag OTC any time and have very high odds of getting an elk, plus cows are better eating. I guess that's one of the perks of living in a mountain state.

I'm with RockChuck on this one. I grew up and live in great elk country and have them in my backyard almost daily. Got 4 nice ones hanging on the wall, one a shoulder mount and the others just antler mounts, three are 6x6 and one a 7x7, one is archery and the other rifle. Shot many smaller ones also. My 2 sons have taken elk bigger than mine and same thing, nobody pulls out a tape measure.

I've never put a tape to any elk or deer I've shot, wouldn't even know how to do the scoring thing anyway.

Heres a guy that was in my pasture a few weeks ago. He's a goodone.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This pic is at my water trough.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box