Sounds like it definitely needs a stock. You don't say if its been drilled and tapped for a scope mount, or if it has any extra holes. I know that was not the intention of your op, but those are some of the things I look for when looking at rifles I'm going to buy. Bore condition, how it functions, check the safety and trigger, missing sights and front hood, re-blued and refinished. All considerations when buying a used rifle, especially a pre 64 model 70. Hopefully it's not too bad and is still serviceable. Keep in mind, the stock may cost more than $500.00 for an original condition clover leaf tang. The last one I had, I could have sold for $600.00, but it was for a 375H&H, which is even more difficult to find. If your rifle has extra holes, you might as well just buy a stock that has a recoil pad on it or has been cut for one and install a good pachmayr on it. All costs you will incur to get the rifle back into action. Even stocks with recoil pads have been bringing pretty good money lately. Upwards of $400.00. Good luck with your new rifle. It is probably like a lot of them: Carried far more than they were shot.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA