Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If an '06 or 270 gets a bullet all the way through the animal, whether the hide catches it or not, how can a larger caliber do any better? I've shot any number of elk with a 270 using both GS's and Speer Hotcores, 150 gr. I've never seen much difference in retained weight. They all end up under the hide of a dead elk.

Something else to consider. Shock happens when the blood pressure drops very rapidly, leaving the victim nearly comatose. Occasionally a bullet will cut a major blood vessel, causing massive internal bleeding. The resulting drop in BP puts the animal in shock and it will just stand there, dead on it's feet. One time I shot an elk in the lungs. It apparently went into shock as it just stood there looking dumb. I shot it 3 more times before it slowly fell over. All 4 shots were through the lungs and heart which were total mush and the far shoulder was broken but it didn't go down. Shock can cause some strange reactions. You think your bullet didn't do the job while in reality, it did a great job. It's the shock that causes the animal to stand and take shot after shot before going down.

I had a similar experience with a .35 Whelen shooting 225 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws at a broadside bull at a hundred yards. Hit him 3 times in rapid succession and he fell over as I squeezed off the third shot. All 3 entry wounds were just behind the crease of the shoulder no more than 2 inches apart. Innards were jello and he was dead on his feet and didn’t know it. IDGAS, if they are still standing, I’m still shooting….

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.