Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by iskra
Just first, disclaimer. SMLE novice here, but six decades plus rifle collector. Seems to me a #4 the sort of thing a really nifty, interesting .308 Win/7.62 conversion. The 'but for', rubber meeting road reality. Bolt head modif, barrel change, feeding & magazine problems... galore. Am I wrong? One matter to manufacture 10K to 100K in production facility & govt deep pockets backing. Quite another matter one/few-off conversions.
There seem clearly sufficient 'donor rifles', non-collectible specimen pool. The, "but for..." as above!

Just my questioning take.
Best!
John

It is a bit hard to decipher your point here, or what the question is. FWIW though the OP's rifle is not a No 4, but built on an Ishapore No 2A1. These were made in 7.62 to start with, not a conversion. The Indians made and used a couple of hundred thousand of them.

It was my understanding they were NOT conversions but came from the Ishapore factory in this configuration.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.