If you've ever fired a non-suppressed firearm indoors with no hearing protection, try it once and you will truly appreciate what I'm about to state.

For self-defense, I want the largest diameter bullet I can use for the situation. That is generally going to be a .44 or .45, unless the gun needs to be concealed in hot weather, then there's no choice but to go to a 9mm/.380 or.357 diameter.

Why do I want big diameter when all the arguments about kinetic energy, temporary wound cavity, etc... are out there? Because I carry and use for home defense subsonic ammo. In a defensive situation, particularly in the dark, your ears can be as important as your eyes, and your eyes are useless if they're blinded by muzzle blast. Shoot a full house 125 grain .357 magnum load out of a 2" barrel in the dark, you will be blinded for several seconds, and if indoors, your ears will be ringing loud enough that you are nearly deaf as well.

It's not good to be deaf and blind if someone is trying to do you harm.

My defensive carry/house handguns are:

3" barreled Ruger GP100 in .44 Special, loaded with 180 grain XTPs at 1,000-1,050 fps.
Colt 1911 5" Government Model loaded with 230 grain Silvertips at similar velocity.
Colt 3 1/2" Defender with 185 grain Silvertips at 950-1,000 fps.
Colt Mustang Pocketlite with 85 grain Hydroshocks at 900-950 fps.

If I have a large jacket, I carry the Government Model. The Defender if my outer carry garment is less bulky but can still be pulled down over the weapon. The Mustang Pocketlite goes in a front pants pocket holster if I'm wearing a non pullover shirt.

The GP100 is my truck glove box gun and also sits in my top right desk drawer at home (where I work). The Government Model is in the nightstand. A suppressed Mini-14, loaded with 50 grain Ballistic Tips, sits vertically in a wall-mounted bracket behind the headboard.