Read a lot as a kid which was further aided by consecutive summer injuries that laid me up. As an adolescent a friend gave me the Shining. Read that , the Stand and a few more SK. Admit I did like Salem's Lot- and might even watch the miniseries again some day for nostalgia- a pretty good cast.

I got older and exposed to classic literature and never went back. For masterful horror- read Dracula- or more modern Ann Rice ( yeah I know but first book was scary), for suspense Uncle Silas by Sheridan Le Fanu who I had not heard of but is evidently considered the father of Victorian ghost stories (precursor to Bram Stoker) and you won't ever bother with SK again. It is hard for me to appreciate most modern writers since Somerset Maugham. Dialogue is not an easy art, nor is crafted suspense.

As for his 'movies' I saw the Shining when it came out with all the hype. Was even feeling anxious about seeing it. Sat through it chuckling and rolling my eyes. I might be the only one that thought the Shining was bad, rather silly, and just not scary? Redrum? WTF.

Last edited by kenjs1; 10/08/21.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius