This is my first foray into handgun reloading, but with the current shortage of ammo it's either that or don't shoot some guns. So I got dies for my .44 and loaded a set of reduced loads in Remington brass, federal magnum match primer (all I could get), 7 grains of Unique, and a 240gr Berry's bullet on the RCBS I normally use for rifle. The resulting load was as accurate as I was freehand, and very pleasant to shoot. It's probably in the 800-900 ft/s range and feels like it. I plan to make more. My only concern is the risk of a double charge. I think there's plenty of space in there to fit twice the powder, and I'm pretty sure 14gr of Unique is a kaboom. I've been paranoid about not letting the charged case out of my hand until a bullet is seated, but I'd feel better if there was some additional guard against double charges.

Is Trailboss the solution? Is there another medium speed pistol powder that is bulkier than Unique that would work better? Is it possible to do reduced loads with slower powders like H110 or 4227 that are bulky enough that no double charge is possible?