Been hunting elk last 12 years straight. Been fairly successful on public land and happy with 7 elk in 12 years.
Buddy that has been with an outfit in Utah had good luck with, I decided to try out something new and maybe learn something new.. I had general elk tag and outfitter has the cow tags.
My guide put me on elk 3 out of 5 days and we saw elk 4 out of 5 days. I ended up with a cow and had couple missed opportunities on a bull. Just wrong place at wrong time. Couple other Guys from camp got to shoot em that were set up below me.
I was happy for one of the Hunter from Cali as he was genuinely nice good people and also probably the richest.. The other guy that shot a bull was from Texas and “there to kill elk only and didn’t care about any of us in camp” . That was awkward on 4th afternoon of hanging out. But that wasn’t even that bad to what else was in camp.
This other guy from Cali was the biggest POS human being and hunter I’ve been around in loooong time. To think about it, He is the biggest. He biggest one upper, best gear, know it all, cocky, arrogant POS I had to endure for 5 days. I gave the other guide props for lasting that long.

The outfitter did his best and he truly was working to get Everyone on animals. My guide and I became friends and had great time hunting together and maybe even hunt again I n near future.
But I don’t ever want to pay to be stuck with guys like that in camp or even worse a truck again. I don’t think I’ll ever do a guided hunt again, at least not for a long long time.
Truly a learning experience.

Also I have seen countless of suggesting to newbs to get a guide to learn from, never seen to make sure the Hunter finds an outfit that has his style of hunting. Such as sitting in stands vs farm lands vs high country or something in between. Ridding side by sides and glass and glass or get deep into timer on foot. Possibly to find an outfit near where they hunt to learn how to hunt that terrain more. Not the opposite.

Last edited by Dre; 10/15/21.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.