Originally Posted by olgrouser
Being a classic it stands or falls on its own merits. I don't want to get into bedding, free floating barrels, replacement barrels etc.

As is the barrel, rifling and crown look really to my eyes. The action screws have been properly adjusted. At this point I don't want to remove the stock.

The handloader? He still has a lot to learn but understands the basics and the need for concentricity. Optimum bullet lengths and the finer details allude him wink

Without at least bedding the rifle that may be the best that it is capable of.
With model 70s one of the main causes of inaccuracy though is that the center action screw (the one in front of the trigger guard) is overtightened which cause the action to bow. It should be only tightened to a very light snug, as soon as it hits resistance stop tightening it. The only purpose of that screw is to hold the trigger guard in alignment with the floorplate. If it is tighter than this loosen it up and give a try - I suspect that the groups will tighten up a bit. Otherwise play with loads and seating depths.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.