Originally Posted by olgrouser
Thank you for taking the time to consider the question and your responses.

Let me preface my response. I am in correspondence with collectors who won't take a screwdriver to a rifle and have never loaded a single bullet but have amassed huge collections of vintage ammunition one end of the spectrum to rifle loonies who were machinists and die makers by trade who had the experience and skills, craftsmanship and means to improve anything they put their mind to, on the end end. Me? Bursitis at the shoulder, tendonitis at elbow, carpal tunnel, trigger finger and white finger syndrome all in my right arm keep me from whaling away at this project hammer and tongs.

Reading previous threads on the Fire about this subject I have come up with my own set of steps which I will undertake with this classic firearm.

1) Gain as much information from the previous owner to learn what improvements have already been attempted.

2) Clean the barrel with the best bore cleaner, I know, to remove all traces of copper.

3) Lighten the trigger from 6-8 lb. to 3 1/2-4 lb. [DONE]

4) Tighten action screw best I can, loosen magazine screw and the screw behind the trigger guard appropriately.

5) If results are sub MOA I'm pleased, if not, remove the stock, insert the bread bag shim and retighten the screws as per step 4.

6) Tighten all scope screws and mounts to appropriate torque as per instructions from Leupold.

7) Lastly begin loading standard practices according to my reloading manuals using the most accurate powders tested as a starting basis for the 130 and 150 grain TTSXs I'm in the process of sourcing and loading W748 and Varget which I have in stock, respectively. Also I'm going to try to procure some N140 which has a proven history with this rifle.

After engaging in Step 1 with the previous owner, I learned in conversation that a new trigger spring had been procured from Ernie the Gunsmith in Phoenix, installed and thereafter the M70 rifle shot neck sized 1X Nosler brass, CCI 210 Match primers, 46gr. N140 and Hornady 150gr. SP bullets OAL 2.780 into .75 MOA groups. A proven solid shooter!

Thus another classic rifle remains unmolested for future rifle loonies to appreciate. cool smile cool

Again for for your insights and ideas. Cheers!

You answered your own OP about the tutorial. I'd do things differently, but that's just me. I like/appreciate as much precision as I can get. I do all my own work too, so it's on the cheap. No need for a gunsmith in terms of fine tuning a good rifle to attain the best accuracy/precision possible.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA