Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I'll type it again....the NF #4 reticle isn't a traditional thick #4.

It's opening between the outer plex is 5 times as wide as the the same opening in the Forceplex.

The outer bars on the 4A are 1 moa while the outer on the Forceplex are .75 moa....the inner plex of the 4A are .2 while the Forceplex is .125......so it is a little heavier.

I'd like to take a look at one but I'm doubtful it would be much, if any, improvement over the Forceplex.

The Tract Toric 2-10 that Pappy348 mentioned is a very nice scope. That's not a knock on the SHV at all. I like and use both of them. The zero stop option on the Toric is a big plus.....Tract incorporated a great design in that for a hunting scope. It's not an extreme long range scope but it's a solid dialing scope for most hunting situations.

JCMCUBIC makes a good point here. There is no "standard" on subtensions of any particular reticle design. Also, there is no guarantee that a reticle design will be the same across product lines within the same company. You can't always trust the depicted image of the reticle the manufacturer advertises either. Study the subtension diagrams if you can obtain them.

Many here have shown praise for Swarovski's 4A reticle. I am also a fan of this reticle....but the 4A reticle that Swaro includes in the Z3 line is not the same 4A reticle they include in their Z6 line.

What is advertised (MidwayUSA shown for convenience):

[Linked Image]

What you get:

[Linked Image]

Compare that with the Z6 version....what is advertised (again, MidwayUSA):

[Linked Image]

What you get (I did not bother to turn on the illumination):

[Linked Image]

Granted, the illumination on this scope would essentially negate the purpose of the 4A reticle and it's bold bars since you shouldn't need the heavier reticle in fading light if you have the lit dot. Still, this reticle is very fine and in my opinion, even worse than Leupold's wide duplex reticle when it comes to general hunting uses.

Like JCM mentioned, Tract's T-Plex reticle is VERY good and essentially on par with Swaro's Z3 line of 4A reticles (sorry, I didn't think to take pics of the reticle's in my own Tract scopes).