I have done similar. Years ago I got a 250ct bag of 130gr TSX bullets from American Reloading. Turns out they're the 300 BLK specific bullets that Remington loaded into their Hog Hammer line of ammo. I've never found these bullet available as components.

I loaded them for my H&R Handi rifle in 30-30 using IMR 4198. They came apart quickly when I shot them into a plastic box filled with packed wet newspaper at 2400fps. I found they held together and penetrated deeper at 2100fps. I don't believe their ability to kill was hindered by the lower speed.

In 2008 I shot a small buck 10 yards away with a 45 Colt rifle loaded with a 225gr XPB. My MV was just over 1700fps. IIRC Barnes velocity rating is 1500fps for that bullet. The deer ran nearly 300yds. Upon field dressing it I found the petals broke off quickly and it appeared only the base penetrated fully. In my situation I don't think that was optimal performance and the deer suffered unneccessarily.

Ever since then I have tested my questionable loads in my bullet box to see how well they hold together and penetrate. I learned shooting pistol bullets from a rifle isn't always a solid plan.

Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..