I don't wear "boots" a lot. Exceptions are snow, rain, and maybe snowshoeing.

I still use an older pair of Danners, maybe Pronghorns, for snowshoeing. I don't like them as much as my first set of Danners. Those came from a USAF base in Washington and may not be commercially available. Uninsulated, flat black, regular vibram soles, and a perfect balance of loose enough / tight enough that they provided support without cutting off circulation. The Pronghorns, if that's what they are, are too tight at the ankle for me, restrict circulation if I wear thick socks, so my feet get cold despite the insulation.

What I mostly wear are Merrell. I have a couple pairs of mid-height, waterproof shoes. The Phaserbound have good ankle support. Like 'em but I have to limit distance because they have very vertical backs to the heel and I have bone spurs so I need a deeper heel pocket. The waterproof midheight MOABs don't have as much support but they have deeper heel pockets so I can wear them further.

Still, none are as comfortable as the low top MOABs, not with my heel bone spur problems. Any time I can manage it, I wear those despite the weather .. goretex gaiters with waterproof low tops is my real go-to setup. Obviously no good wading creeks but there aren't many creeks I can't step across where I elk hunt.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...