Friends:

Over the last year I have been increasingly involved in our family homestead up in Northern Vermont (the Northeast Kingdom or NEK as they call t).

A person would have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to notice the changes to wildlife up there over the decades I have been mostly absent. Sightings of deer, woodchucks, rabbits and such are massively down. Turkeys are up (I figure because they sleep in roosts at night, off the ground). Ive only seen a couple coyotes BUT at night the mountains echo with their calls. Seems like hundreds of them calling from every direction at night.

Not that I'm a rocket scientist or anything but increase in coyotes seems correlated with decrease in everything else.

Yet as the Chinese would say: "in change there is opportunity!"

Therefore, I figger I need to get seriously good at eliminating coyotes and helping restore nature's balance.

I need to start somewhere, but believe I already have at least some of the most important gear in hand already: Shotguns, rifles, camo, much of which I can use from my deer, turkey, woodchuck and squill hunting. Not too worried about any of that.

I guess I need to get a caller of some kind and study up on how-to's.

What caller do you recommend? -up there its big woods with occasional hay fields. My dad left me a couple mouth and squeaker calls, but I probably need something more electronic/industrial to start out with.

Longest shot prolly 200 yards, but most likely within about 50-75.

Is there a must have book, or even youtube channel, that I should invest time and money in? Is there as "Barsness on Coyotes" or some other epic tome out there? I can go rough as needed, so long as the experience to "get 'er done" is there.

Any other equipment I need to be looking at?

The cause is worthy.

Thanks in advance!

Blu_Cs

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough