Originally Posted by jdunham
I usually buy used and let someone else eat the depreciation. I bought a new 2021 Tundra in January just before things were starting to get crazy, the used trucks were literally the same price as the new with no warranty. It has gotten way crazier since then and I could sell my year old truck right now for more than I bought it for. I would if I didn’t have to replace it, truck lots are empty here.
I went Toyota for the reliability after owning 2 Silverado Duramax trucks the last 15 years. Both were pre emission trucks and were great, just couldn’t justify a diesel anymore. Have friends who own all the different brands and the Toyotas have all been bulletproof in a 1/2 ton. Totally happy with the Tundra and would do it again in a heartbeat. YMMV

Buying decent used was my method as well. Buy something with five six real good years left in it after about three start looking for something to replace it. My 2012 F 150 was right at the point of dump it or keep it til it died. Nothing decent to be had used looked for about six months. Everything was a couple three years old and nearly the same as new. Nothing in that five to seven year old range which was kinda the sweet spot. Acceptable miles overall still in good condition. Might need some little things and getting to the end on some of the higher dollar consumables. But if you do your own work the costs were acceptable.

The 2012 gave me about 35000 miles and two and a half years. Traded it for a 1000 bucks less than I paid.