Originally Posted by richyonks
I am a CT resident looking to hunt Coyotes on state land. From what I can't read you can't use anything larger than a .22 cal rimfire rifle on state land. I thought about giving the 17wsm a try but it seems like there is mixed reviews on the rifles and ammunition. all thoughts are welcomed.
Thanks!

I doubt that you will be satisfied with the results. The 17's, whether it be HMR or WSM, is a great round on what it was it was designed for - ground burrowing rodents. A coyote is a lot heavier weight wise and muscle wise and has more tenacity for life, it may eventually die both it will be rare that it is a quick painless death and IMO even a coyote should not suffer a lingering death.

I shot one with my 17HMR at 110 yds and it only took one time for me to realize how ineffective that the 17 rimfires were on a larger animal. I am sure that there have been coyotes killed with the 17's but I think that they one shot and flop is the exception rather than the rule. I realize that I am using the 17HMR for comparison but I suspect that there is not that much difference in the bullet construction and the results on a coyote are likely to be the same.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ch/true/re-17-hmr-vs-coyote#Post16330058

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.