In response to the OP, I would rather that folks not be addicted to, or even operating in public under the influence of, anything that impairs judgment and performance. Simple preference on my part, but not mine to try to control.

Folks have free will regarding what they choose to put into their systems, even if the stuff has severe effects on them and their lives. The affront occurs when their ingestion and resulting behaviors cause problems for other individuals - who are their victims - and when their habits undermine disciplines and intensify problems in our society. Yes, they have the legal right to such choices. Do they have the moral right to so affect others?

Where the government has made efforts to inhibit such use and abuse, those efforts probably have been aimed at protection of its society in general. Where such governmental efforts have not worked, it is not that the chemicals are winning (they are inert with regard to effort or judgment) - it is that the users are losing due to their choices, and other people often become the victims of those user choices. Thus, my stated preference.. Humans can be weak.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron