Home
Posted By: STRSWilson Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
My neighbor’s 22 year old son was in town over the weekend. His nosy wife decided to check out Jr’s vehicle (which he purchased with his own money) only to find an unsmoked joint in his car. She then blows a gasket and has a complete and comprehensive meltdown as if she discovered a dead body in his trunk. She's always seriously emotional about pretty much everything.

So I get the phone call later that day that my neighbor needs a drink and he’s coming over. He relates the whole matter and how his wife reacted. I said, Would she rather find a pack of cigarettes or piles of bottles? There are worse things in the world than a joint, like cancer and death from drunk driving. He’s a very conservative guy, but totally gets the unfounded hysteria over pot.

So what is everyone’s take on the issue of Cannabis? Would you rather your adult children be addicted to nicotine or alcohol, or smoke the occasional joint?
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
In almost 30 years of picking up garbage (drunks & drug addicts) as a firefighter weed doesn’t warrant a mention.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
I don't smoke it. Been decades since I did and even then I didn't inhale. smile

I'd rather have neighbors that puffed than drank too much. It's been legal in Canada for a couple yrs now. It surprises me who takes part in it now who wouldn't before. High on the job or on the road are my two big issues with it.
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to and don't stick your nose where it doesn't belong. Sounds like his wife doesn't get it. good of you to be a shoulder for your neighbor, sounds like he has more to deal with likely on a constant basis from her. If it was me I would have a talk with my wife and remind her he's a grown man who has to make his own decisions and although they may not approve they need to respect it and move on. No good will come from her actions. The only way I would understand is if he was fresh out of rehab and ordered to stay sober etc. and it was out of concern he might relapse, but even then see the above answer, it's his life. I'd say you handled it well, a beacon of perspective without inserting yourself into the mess. Good on you
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
My neighbor’s 22 year old son was in town over the weekend. His nosy wife decided to check out Jr’s vehicle (which he purchased with his own money) only to find an unsmoked joint in his car. She then blows a gasket and has a complete and comprehensive meltdown as if she discovered a dead body in his trunk.

Is the wife a church bird? That may be the cause of her concern.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
I love exceedingly emotional over-reactive women. All that high pitch wailing and screaming.

It like being eaten alive by Jaws, but no actual sharks are required.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21

So what is everyone’s take on the issue of Cannabis? Would you rather your adult children be addicted to nicotine or alcohol, or smoke the occasional joint?
[/quote]

Let’s see, addicted to cigarettes or alcohol, or smoking a joint occasionally.
I’ll take none of the above, as did my kids. They drink a beer, or glass of wine occasionally, but never touch a cigarette.

I’m not a big anti pot guy, I really don’t care either way, but your question is about addiction vs occasional use of a joint. That’s comparing apples to lug nuts.
I don’t know the laws in your state, is pot legal? Alcohol and cigarettes likely are legal.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to and don't stick your nose where it doesn't belong. Sounds like his wife doesn't get it. good of you to be a shoulder for your neighbor, sounds like he has more to deal with likely on a constant basis from her. If it was me I would have a talk with my wife and remind her he's a grown man who has to make his own decisions and although they may not approve they need to respect it and move on. No good will come from her actions. The only way I would understand is if he was fresh out of rehab and ordered to stay sober etc. and it was out of concern he might relapse, but even then see the above answer, it's his life. I'd say you handled it well, a beacon of perspective without inserting yourself into the mess. Good on you

^^^this^^^
Posted By: hookeye Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
At least she didnt find a f ag mag and some lube
Posted By: poboy Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
I expect the biden cartel to legalize pot use soon.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
1. Stay the hell out of your neighbors' arguments.

2. Humans have done everything possible to get high since Oog munched a mushroom. Especially rationalizing how harmless it is.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Has your neighbor dug the hole and seeded with lime yet?
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Other than the connection with laziness, violent crime, depression, psychosis and cancer, there's not a thing wrong with pot.
Posted By: 673 Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Nobody batts an eye here about it. On the reservation near me is no less than 20 weed shops in a 5 mile stretch of road....I don't know how they compete with one another.
As mentioned, surprising how many People smoke it, everyone has tried CBD for pain, but I see People in their 80's smoking weed often. Booze and hard drugs has destroyed many more lives than weed.

Now they want to de-criminalize small amounts of cocaine, heroin etc....yet the same People are imposing a Vaccine mandate that is ruining lives wants to turn a blind eye to the harder drugs, bizarre.
Originally Posted by poboy

Prohibition didn't stop people from drinking.

The gov't spent a fortune trying to stop the sale and use of booze and it made some criminals very rich.
Posted By: Dixie_Rebel Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
I don’t approve or support its use whatsoever! Use of that garbage leads millions into a life of addiction and misery!

40 years as an LEO, I’ve seen it destroy people after leading them into other drugs!

Nothing good comes from it being “legalized”! In fact, it is just the opposite!
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
I just love the quality that comes with the pot culture. Like, who doesn’t want to hang out at one of these smoke shops? Lots of good folks going in and out of those places. crazy
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
My neighbor’s 22 year old son was in town over the weekend. His nosy wife decided to check out Jr’s vehicle (which he purchased with his own money) only to find an unsmoked joint in his car. She then blows a gasket and has a complete and comprehensive meltdown as if she discovered a dead body in his trunk. She's always seriously emotional about pretty much everything.

So I get the phone call later that day that my neighbor needs a drink and he’s coming over. He relates the whole matter and how his wife reacted. I said, Would she rather find a pack of cigarettes or piles of bottles? There are worse things in the world than a joint, like cancer and death from drunk driving. He’s a very conservative guy, but totally gets the unfounded hysteria over pot.

Wait til that marijuana is laced with fentanyl...
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by hookeye

Now that is an excellent point.

Not sure why his wife is wound so tight, but she would drive me to drinking.... more.

As a Libertarian, I don't see the issue with Cannabis nor the motivation to tell anyone else how to live their life - especially within the confines of their home. It becomes a slippery slope when we as a society begin deciding which addictive and destructive products are OK and which one's are evil. Tobacco and alcohol have killed millions more than Covid or Cannabis but you don't see folks getting all twitchy over that.

About the only thing dangerous about Cannabis is the threat of the local donut shop running out of product. Legalize it and move on to bigger social problems like black violence.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
I don’t approve or support its use whatsoever! Use of that garbage leads millions into a life of addiction and misery!

40 years as an LEO, I’ve seen it destroy people after leading them into other drugs!

This. Were I in your neighbor's situation I'd:

Be enraged.
Have a severely fractured relationship with my kid
Really have to figure out where I went from there relationship-wise. It would be pretty much the same as having my kid become a sex trade worker, democrat, molester, or neo-nazi. The utter repulsiveness of it would rule my thoughts.
Posted By: JeffP Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by poboy

Prohibition didn't stop people from drinking.

The gov't spent a fortune trying to stop the sale and use of booze and it made some criminals very rich.

And the gvt poisoned people during prohibition.

Freedom is free to do stupid things. And things you or I (to no one in particular) may not like or agree with.

For me the problem is , in the us , researchers can’t even do research to see if there are potential medical uses. Let them study it and present the facts. I personally knew terminal cancer patients that got some relief from marijuana.
Posted By: rainshot Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Pot is a gateway drug. It dulls the senses and is the cause of a lot of auto wrecks. I don't see any good coming from it. Sure alcohol is addictive and dangerous. I don't think we need to add to our recreational drug problems any more than we already have.
Posted By: tzone Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to and don't stick your nose where it doesn't belong.

A lot of the bullshitt in America wouldn't be happening if people followed this. ^^^^
Posted By: Seafire Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
I don't drink alcohol, use drugs, nor ever smoked cigarettes etc.

That being said, I have no use for dope, or those that smoke or use it...

same with drugs, they don't need. just to get high... I don't get the need to have a continual vacation from society, by anesthetizing your mind.

People can do what ever they want to, but I support it being illegal.

how much of this transient problem we experience ALL over this nation, revolves around drug use? Pretty much all of it.. it becomes a life style, yet so many people
think we have to support it, because these poor people are so down and out... its called "enabling" people. any 12 step program will tell you that.

"Well it doesn't harm anyone but the user"..... no its gotten to the point unchecked and pushed be leftist democRats, that it has effected the entire nation now. Financially, socially, and politically . These people are nothing but a financial burden to society and the rest of us are suppose to pay the price tag for them.

They won't get a damn penny of support from me.
Posted By: antlers Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
I don’t give two schits about marijuana usage. It’s impact on society is like a grain of sand on the bottom of the ocean floor compared to the impact of alcohol alone on society.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Its a gateway drug for many. It shouldn’t be in a vehicle and DWI can kill somebody’s grandkids. It does have profound problems associated as its not the same weed as 1970.

It is addictive, just look at the frequency of its use and just try to stop using it, you can’t.

If liberals push it like they do abortion and their other agendas then it must me a society killer.
Originally Posted by rainshot
Pot is a gateway drug. It dulls the senses and is the cause of a lot of auto wrecks. I don't see any good coming from it. Sure alcohol is addictive and dangerous. I don't think we need to add to our recreational drug problems any more than we already have.

I have to disagree with that statement. Look at who is smoking weed in the states that allow it. Mostly middle age and older. People with personalities that overdo pills, booze or gambling ( I know a bunch who abuse all three) didn’t get that way from weed. By the way isn’t it convenient that booze and weed are taxed? Also lots of states have lotteries to. I don’t know if prescriptions are taxed, nothing would surprise me.
Bull crap

Anything a liberal pushes, turns the world to crap
Posted By: ERK Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
I don’t personally care who smokes that stuff. But! A dope head is a dope head. Stupid is as stupid does. Edk
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
I was smoking weed when I was 22 and look how I turned out.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Every pothead I have known became an apathetic loser. Synonymous with Deomocrat.

Of course, the same thing can be said for every booze hound I have known.

same/same
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
It’s a gateway drug for many.
The biggest gateway drugs are cigarettes and alcohol, especially alcohol. Everything else pales in comparison. Everything.
Drugs and alcohol are equal opportunity endeavors. Conservative or liberal all are welcomed by its influence. They aren’t all liberals lining up at the legal weed stores or liquor stores and bars.
Sorry brother, I didn’t say it were the only gateway but this genetic modified high potency stuff is not just a gateway drug, it is a potent drug.

I didn’t say it were only liberals either.

I just say look at the things they push and its plain as day,

They push things that destroy morality, health, and American institutions.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Lol don't blame gun violence on inanimate objects but that inanimate plant...it's baaaaad lol

The only thing worse than a politician is a lazy thinker. Losers smoke weed so it must make you a loser.

How about...the people who were gonna be meth heads started with whatever they could get which happened to be weed.

They also started with Cheetos and beer. No one worries about snacks and Coors light
Weed bad
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
STRWilson;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking to be decent down in Georgia and other than your neighbor's issues your world is going more towards better than worse.

As my friend Super Cub mentioned, it's been legal up here across the medicine line for a few years now, but honestly before that unless one was caught with bales of it the authorities weren't spending too, too much energy enforcing simple possession.

Has it made a significant difference in Canadian society? I'd suggest its too early to tell long tern, but short term likely not.

On the last job I worked before my first attempt at retirement, one lunch break I asked my entire crew if what their personal consumption was and all of them were daily users of some form of cannabinoid product.

About 2/3 smoked it in the traditional way, the remainder used gummies or vaped.

The "traditional" smokers said none of them bought their pot at government approved shops as the prices were too high and there wasn't enough selection as well as inferior quality. So much for the government projections as to how many tax dollars they were going to rake in from legal pot sales.

Talking to friends who are fire fighters - so first on in motor vehicle accidents sometimes - and LEO, there's not a lot of accidents caused by pot or where it was a contributing factor. Folks up here still drink alcohol, drive and cause highway mayhem by a huge margin over pot.

Do I personally believe it makes you sharper? No not at all.

Do I think smoking anything is a bad idea for your health in the long term? Yes, yes I do.

Have I seen where pot gummies are working for pain relief with little or no adverse side effects as opposed to opioids prescribed by doctors? Yes, multiple times actually.

No, I don't use it and no I'm not a teatotaller either, so I can't get too high on my soap box as I'm pretty sure even small amounts of alcohol aren't the best thing some of my internal parts need either, but on days like yesterday where I felt the need for a wee bit of Irish whisky before bed after a rather large load of firewood came down from the mountain and was cut, split and piled, well it did take care of the aches for sure.

I'm not sure I've answered your question specifically sir, but that's more or less what we see up here in our section of mostly rural, predominantly conservative part of interior BC.

All the best to you as we head into winter.

Dwayne
Posted By: g5m Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
1. Stay the hell out of your neighbors' arguments.

2. Humans have done everything possible to get high since Oog munched a mushroom. Especially rationalizing how harmless it is.

Back when I had occasion to see hard drug users every one I saw had started with pot. So, Gateway drug? I'd say yes. Are there others? Sure, but don't discount pot in that regard.
Man those bicycles are gateways to DUI then. Better stay away lol
Everyone who ate carrots in 1829 is dead too.

And water is the gateway to beer.
I'll repeat:

Users rationalize use.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
WTF is a woman doing searching her adult son’s vehicle without his permission?

Bet she’s going to have a wonderful relationship with her future daughter in law, too.

Boundaries, anyone?
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
I'm not a fan of dope, I have never smoked a single cigarette, let alone dope in my life.... but what i like even less is other people needing to live their lives to my expectations.

Some pot heads are successful. Sime are lazy pieces of crap. Not much of a fan of folks who smoke then drive, but I like to get where I am going as fast as possible.

Live and let live.
Yep. Ya don't need to smoke it to be able to think logically regarding it. Lol
I've never smoked dope in my life but I don't give a flying f u c k if someone does occasionally, weather it be rec use or to help symptoms of Parkinson's and cancer.

The people that do it daily and use the excuse "it's for pain" are the POS that I don't care for.
I'll repeat:

Users rationalize use.

Like I said, "it's for pain" is the most common excuse major potheads use, in my experience.

No. You're a lazy POS that will use any excuse you can to get on disability and not have to work anymore.
Originally Posted by hookeye

Now that is an excellent point.

Not sure why his wife is wound so tight, but she would drive me to drinking.... more.

As a Libertarian, I don't see the issue with Cannabis nor the motivation to tell anyone else how to live their life - especially within the confines of their home. It becomes a slippery slope when we as a society begin deciding which addictive and destructive products are OK and which one's are evil. Tobacco and alcohol have killed millions more than Covid or Cannabis but you don't see folks getting all twitchy over that.

Typical Democrat strategy - legalize vices and then supply a government program to come to the "rescue".
Posted By: shaman Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Of the various ways a young guy can screw up his life, weed usage is pretty low on the list.

1) It dulls up your wits while making you feel smarter.
2) It saps your energy. It worsens your health.
3) It can make you feel isolated and alone. If you're a depressive sort, it will antagonize depression

Occasional use can be an overnight vacation without leaving home. Chronic use is a ticket to underperformance and mediocrity.
I'll repeat:

Users rationalize use.

Every time I look at a morbidly obese person eating carbs and sugar, or a drunk drinking their next drink, or someone with cancer smoking, or the bum on the street saying if I'd only had a break, or some urban thug stealing stuff, I say the same thing to myself.

Anyone can rationalize and/or abuse anything.

If we are going to legislate ourselves to a healthier lifestyle, we should start by outlawing fast food and sugar. McDonalds and Coke alone have killed millions around the globe. And there are millions more addicted to that crap.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Other than the connection with laziness, violent crime, depression, psychosis and cancer, there's not a thing wrong with pot.

I worked like a jack rabbit on pot

Lay 15+ squares of shingles a day by myself, with another roofer and a helper could knock out 25-30 squares, valleys, pans, crickets, steps, counter flash and be gone at sundown.

Get home and tear down all the gear and get set for the next day.

People who are lazy are lazy because they are just fuggin lazy.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
In a 55 year work career, heavy equipment and marine, logging, dirt moving, I have never had a dope smoker that was an outstanding employee. Adequate, yes, but never a top hand. But, I am very naive when it comes to drug knowledge, maybe there were some guys who were dopers that I never picked up on...but I doubt it.
I'll repeat:

Users rationalize use.

You just had a thread a few days ago about you and your wife drinking ‘cocktails’ and boozing it up.

Logic has never been a strength of rocky's. He lives to tear down people's religious faith and bitch about weed and act superior to everyone else, like every other old guy on here. He and Varmint Gay would make good buddies.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Sad thing is, the kid probably knew he was gonna need that joint after spending a weekend with his emotionally distressed mother.

Might notta even had it along otherwise.
Originally Posted by slumlord
I'll repeat: Users rationalize use.
You just had a thread a few days ago about you and your wife drinking ‘cocktails’ and boozing it up.
lol

hy·poc·ri·sy: noun
~ the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform.

Their bourbon or Manhattan’s or Old Fashioned’s or other booze on a regular basis is OK, but other people’s weed use isn’t.

lol some more

Posted By: prplbkrr Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I'll repeat:

Users rationalize use.

Like I said, "it's for pain" is the most common excuse major potheads use, in my experience.

No. You're a lazy POS that will use any excuse you can to get on disability and not have to work anymore.

Could you explain all of the Drs., lawyers, LEO's, business leaders, etc. that get high. A good friend of mine (who owns his business) and I went to the place across the road after hours to have a beer with that owner. Walked in the back door and it was a Who's who of the local business owners. Everybody was getting stoned. Buddy was very pleasantly surprised.

You don't become a business owner by being a lazy POS. As Slummy said , if you're lazy, you're lazy. Pot has nothing to do with it.

I'll repeat:

Users rationalize use.

Don't matter, they'll never get because they don't wanna get it.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21

Yep.

Just take a drive through Colorado since they made it Legal there. Drive by any weed shop and take a look at all the homeless trash laying out front waiting for the stores to open. While their taking a schitt on the street corner.
Another decent State ruined by Libertards legalizing Pot. 😡
So none of those guys were homeless or taking a s*** on the street before the pot was legal then?
Sure ruined this guy's life.

He'd probably be worth 600 billion instead of a measly 300 billion if he didn't smoke pot.

Note to antlers, etc: nowhere can you find me saying I don't rationalize my own use. That reinforces my statement rather than weakening it. Nor, by the way, can you find any comment from me condemning use, as anyone with even minimal reading comprehension would know. Not a shred of hypocrisy on my balance sheet.

Once again, for the slow-witted: It does not matter what people choose to get high; they are going to come up with some excuse or reason why it's okay for them to do so.
Oh damn look at that gateway to being a billionaire
Posted By: brownpapabear Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
If he is a good kid and shows a lot of self control and maturity, There's nothing to worry about.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
OP has a future in fiction writing.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Lots of people don’t smoke pot. Any of them that didn’t become a doctor or a millionaire are lazy pieces of trash.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
His nosy wife decided to check out Jr’s vehicle (which he purchased with his own money) only to find an unsmoked joint in his car. She then blows a gasket and has a complete and comprehensive meltdown as if she discovered a dead body in his trunk. She's always seriously emotional about pretty much everything.

I assume her name is Karen !
Note to antlers, etc: nowhere can you find me saying I don't rationalize my own use. That reinforces my statement rather than weakening it. Nor, by the way, can you find any comment from me condemning use, as anyone with even minimal reading comprehension would know. Not a shred of hypocrisy on my balance sheet. Once again, for the slow-witted: It does not matter what people choose to get high; they are going to come up with some excuse or reason why it's okay for them to do so.
RockyRabb, my post wasn’t in response to ‘just’ you, but I did take it other than the way you clarified above; I apologize.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Geeze....Rocky needs a toke this morning!
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Unlawful user of marijuana=lose your gun rights!
Pot is a gateway drug.

I'm not going to argue that point one way or another.

Whether it's illegal or not doesn't make it a gateway drug or not.

Furthermore, not everyone who smokes is a pothead, the same as everyone who drinks is not an alcoholic.
Posted By: acloco Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21

Prefer no addiction.

Your words downplay "...the occasional joint". Weed of today is NOT the same weed from ten years ago. It is highly addictive. Don't bullshit your occasional self.

Cannabis is not different than tobacco or alcohol.
Originally Posted by antlers
I'll repeat: Users rationalize use.
lol

hy·poc·ri·sy: noun
~ the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform.

Their bourbon or Manhattan’s or Old Fashioned’s or other booze on a regular basis is OK, but other people’s weed use isn’t.

lol some more
One drink doesn't make one drunk or even buzzed. One joint does however make one stoned.
One drink doesn't make one drunk or even buzzed. One joint does however make one stoned.
Typical hypocritical rationale; “My drug of choice is OK but your drug of choice isn’t OK.” “I approve of my drug of choice but I don’t approve of your drug of choice.”
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by acloco

Prefer no addiction.

Your words downplay "...the occasional joint". Weed of today is NOT the same weed from ten years ago. It is highly addictive. Don't bullshit your occasional self.

How is weed of today “highly addictive”?
It is for sure better quality that much is true...

The effects of weed on a person are tremendously different than either tobacco and alcohol. What specifically do you mean?
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Friggen liberals and their lyrics:

"I don't want much of nothin' at all,But I will take another toke."
All the guys arguing against how evil a plant is, have no experience with it or open mindedness to be able to learn facts about something new.

Same as the guys who hate a cartridge they have never used. It's pathological.
A post by one of the most reasonable, and generally reasoned, individuals on the Campfire is worth a replay.

Thanks Dwayne, and a good day to you.

Originally Posted by BC30cal
STRWilson;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking to be decent down in Georgia and other than your neighbor's issues your world is going more towards better than worse.

As my friend Super Cub mentioned, it's been legal up here across the medicine line for a few years now, but honestly before that unless one was caught with bales of it the authorities weren't spending too, too much energy enforcing simple possession.

Has it made a significant difference in Canadian society? I'd suggest its too early to tell long tern, but short term likely not.

On the last job I worked before my first attempt at retirement, one lunch break I asked my entire crew if what their personal consumption was and all of them were daily users of some form of cannabinoid product.

About 2/3 smoked it in the traditional way, the remainder used gummies or vaped.

The "traditional" smokers said none of them bought their pot at government approved shops as the prices were too high and there wasn't enough selection as well as inferior quality. So much for the government projections as to how many tax dollars they were going to rake in from legal pot sales.

Talking to friends who are fire fighters - so first on in motor vehicle accidents sometimes - and LEO, there's not a lot of accidents caused by pot or where it was a contributing factor. Folks up here still drink alcohol, drive and cause highway mayhem by a huge margin over pot.

Do I personally believe it makes you sharper? No not at all.

Do I think smoking anything is a bad idea for your health in the long term? Yes, yes I do.

Have I seen where pot gummies are working for pain relief with little or no adverse side effects as opposed to opioids prescribed by doctors? Yes, multiple times actually.

No, I don't use it and no I'm not a teatotaller either, so I can't get too high on my soap box as I'm pretty sure even small amounts of alcohol aren't the best thing some of my internal parts need either, but on days like yesterday where I felt the need for a wee bit of Irish whisky before bed after a rather large load of firewood came down from the mountain and was cut, split and piled, well it did take care of the aches for sure.

I'm not sure I've answered your question specifically sir, but that's more or less what we see up here in our section of mostly rural, predominantly conservative part of interior BC.

All the best to you as we head into winter.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
All the guys arguing against how evil a plant is, have no experience with it or open mindedness to be able to learn facts about something new.

Damn Creedmore cartridges, of any variety.

Who needs 'em anyway.
I think some people have seen the whole movie and believe it is a documentary:
( A plant with its roots in HELL no less)

Originally Posted by Valsdad

Who needs 'em anyway.

Yep. Gateway to the 9.3mm Mauser.
Originally Posted by acloco

Prefer no addiction.

First off, the use of something does not make one a addict. There is a very large threshold between the two.

THC affects the dopamine levels in the brain in much the same manner that sugar and carbohydrates do. Most research shows that "heavy" pot users do become addicted to the release of dopamine. Then again, heavy users of tobacco and alcohol become addicted as well. One would argue that kicking nicotine and alcohol is more difficult, but that is subjective of course. You can easily substitute THC with other dopamine enhancers... like donuts and McDonalds.

In regards to the dangers of THC, nicotine, and alcohol abuse, the results may surprise you.

I am not advocating the legal use of Cannabis, just suggesting that as a society, we are addicted to a lot of things that are "socially acceptable" that are far more dangerous and impacts a far wider percentage of the population. Singling out pot is a little disingenuous.

Never tried Tobacco, Hemlock, Nightshade, Choke Cherry leaves, or Amanita Mushrooms either.

But one can learn by observing the population around you, or even reading results found by others.

But you go ahead, eat all the Hemlock and Nightshade you want. They are just nature's plants? Right? Get back to us and let us know how that works out.

Many of the most lethal molecules known to man are produced by "Mother Nature".
Poison plant = any other plant.

Thanks for confirming my comment about logic.

Who needs 'em anyway.

Yep. Gateway to the 9.3mm Mauser.

Hey, I see the benefit of one of those.

'06 on steroids bro.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
How will the legalization of cannabis improve highway transportation for those of us who don't use pot and currently drive triggered dodging the present insanity using our highways?
Originally Posted by prplbkrr
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I'll repeat:

Users rationalize use.

Could you explain all of the Drs., lawyers, LEO's, business leaders, etc. that get high. A good friend of mine (who owns his business) and I went to the place across the road after hours to have a beer with that owner. Walked in the back door and it was a Who's who of the local business owners. Everybody was getting stoned. Buddy was very pleasantly surprised.

You don't become a business owner by being a lazy POS. As Slummy said , if you're lazy, you're lazy. Pot has nothing to do with it.

See my post above the one you quoted. I don't have any issues with people smoking pot occasionally. None. It's the people that smoke it all day everyday and make excuses as to why they do that get to me. Many of these same people avoid work like the plague but Slum is probably right. If you're lazy, you're lazy.

Hell I drink too much by community standards so I would be a hypocrite if I said ALL pot users were POS.
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21

Kind of a baited question with the use of the word "addicted".

I don't want them addicted to anything. I'd much rather them use tobacco or alcohol than pot however. Just look around you at the type of people who are habitual users of all three and it should answer your question. The vast majority of decent people I know drink and many smoke cigarettes. The vast majority of dirtbags I know are habitual users of pot.

First off, the use of something does not make one a addict. There is a very large threshold between the two.

THC affects the dopamine levels in the brain in much the same manner that sugar and carbohydrates do.

Don't leave out Cocaine and, dare I say it, Heroin. They affect dopamine levels and receptors a bit. And they are both naturally derived as well. Nature's Bounty!

Most research shows that "heavy" pot users do become addicted to the release of dopamine. Then again, heavy users of tobacco and alcohol become addicted as well. One would argue that kicking nicotine and alcohol is more difficult, but that is subjective of course. You can easily substitute THC with other dopamine enhancers... like donuts and McDonalds.

In regards to the dangers of THC, nicotine, and alcohol abuse, the results may surprise you.

I am not advocating the legal use of Cannabis, just suggesting that as a society, we are addicted to a lot of things that are "socially acceptable" that are far more dangerous and impacts a far wider percentage of the population. Singling out pot is a little disingenuous.
The government has been fighting a war against marijuana for nearly 85 years. And marijuana is still winning. Despite the government’s efforts, the government has still failed to reduce Americans’ consumption of the plant. In fact, it’s still on the rise. It’s a lost cause for anyone who still supports marijuanas’ prohibition.

Poison Plant equals poppies, equals coca, equals tobacco, equals marijuana.

But no, some can't see the connection.

Just like alcohol, the felt effects of THC, intoxication, are due to it's toxic affect on the human body.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Apparently there is marijuana and then there is Marijuana !! My friend and neighbor, call him Scotty (as in beam me up) was in the dope growing business before most of you guys were born..when it was serious industry right in the Emerald Triangle. He knows his dope. He still grows a little, but nothing like in the 60's with night stealth missions on the Klamath in driftboats.
I asked him this morning during the coffee visit, about this thread. Pretty much unedited, Scotty says, these new strains of this super high resin content bud is some bad [bleep]. It will f... you up, and it will f... your life up. He rattled off some goofy names but basically I get that THC content is almost double what it was 25 years ago, instead of a mellow high it leads to a state of euphoria that makes the uncautious user to believe they are endowed with super powers. Every driver becomes Mario Andretti is the example he used. Experienced old "heads" he says can regulate it, High school kids...it's as bad as 150 proof rum when it comes to bad judgement.
Lol um...ok.
Everyone in here is suddenly an expert on drugs when it comes to the vaccines but they believe pot is both magic and evil.

Same dumbasses who think their 270 "rises" at 200 yards lol
Posted By: Raeford Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Everyone in here is suddenly an expert on drugs when it comes to the vaccines but they believe pot is both magic and evil.

Well, only when I'm stoned outta my mind!
Originally Posted by Raeford

Well, only when I'm stoned outta my mind!

Good one lol
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Apparently there is marijuana and then there is Marijuana !! My friend and neighbor, call him Scotty (as in beam me up) was in the dope growing business before most of you guys were born..when it was serious industry right in the Emerald Triangle. He knows his dope. He still grows a little, but nothing like in the 60's with night stealth missions on the Klamath in driftboats.
I asked him this morning during the coffee visit, about this thread. Pretty much unedited, Scotty says, these new strains of this super high resin content bud is some bad [bleep]. It will f... you up, and it will f... your life up. He rattled off some goofy names but basically I get that THC content is almost double what it was 25 years ago, instead of a mellow high it leads to a state of euphoria that makes the uncautious user to believe they are endowed with super powers. Every driver becomes Mario Andretti is the example he used. Experienced old "heads" he says can regulate it, High school kids...it's as bad as 150 proof rum when it comes to bad judgement.

Yep, similar to when I was growing up in SoCal, it was hard to come by booze stronger than 151 Bacardi. Folks would occasionally come back from Las Vegas with Everclear, or from Mexico with something stronger than the Bacardi. Moonshine was basically unavailable, until a friend with access to all the stuff built a still. We had one batch we called "Ol' Ten Yard", because a couple of shots of it and 10 yards was about as far as a teenager could get!

The ones interested in getting "f'd up" are gonna find a way. And they will want the strongest available if getting "f'd up" is their main interest.

Coke addicts will move from snorting, to freebase, to crack.

Meth/crank users will move from snorting, to smoking, to injection.

More than one heroin user started out snorting or smoking it. And now certain folks are cutting it with fentanyl so their customers get higher and come back to buy more. And, since it apparently can be made pretty cheaply in China and elsewhere, it's more cost effective and easier to do than preparing a field, growing poppies, harvesting sap, cooking it down, transporting it to a lab, turning it into heroin, etc.

For me, and maybe it's just me, the "pot isn't what you boomers grew up with" argument seems too similar to the "well, growing up we didn't have 30, 50, or 100 round magazines" argument.

Make something illegal and someone will try to profit off it; and as long as there are still places outlawing Mary Jane someone will be willing to take the risk to get it into that area.

Might as well go back to alcohol prohibition if we're really worried about what is happening on our roads, in our schools, in our courthouses, etc.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Poison Plant equals poppies, equals coca, equals tobacco, equals marijuana.

But no, some can't see the connection.

Just like alcohol, the felt effects of THC, intoxication, are due to it's toxic affect on the human body.

Let's not leave out my favorites,

coffee and especially that Poison Plant....................CHOCOLATE.

https://www.wired.com/2013/02/the-poisonous-nature-of-chocolate/
Posted By: CCCC Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
In response to the OP, I would rather that folks not be addicted to, or even operating in public under the influence of, anything that impairs judgment and performance. Simple preference on my part, but not mine to try to control.

Folks have free will regarding what they choose to put into their systems, even if the stuff has severe effects on them and their lives. The affront occurs when their ingestion and resulting behaviors cause problems for other individuals - who are their victims - and when their habits undermine disciplines and intensify problems in our society. Yes, they have the legal right to such choices. Do they have the moral right to so affect others?

Where the government has made efforts to inhibit such use and abuse, those efforts probably have been aimed at protection of its society in general. Where such governmental efforts have not worked, it is not that the chemicals are winning (they are inert with regard to effort or judgment) - it is that the users are losing due to their choices, and other people often become the victims of those user choices. Thus, my stated preference.. Humans can be weak.
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Yep.

Just take a drive through Colorado since they made it Legal there. Drive by any weed shop and take a look at all the homeless trash laying out front waiting for the stores to open. While their taking a schitt on the street corner.
Another decent State ruined by Libertards legalizing Pot. 😡

I call BS.
I’ve driven by lots of dispensaries and never once seen this. Homeless trash can’t afford what’s inside the store.

Now bars and liquor stores? Absolutely! There’s no $2.99 bottles of vodka inside a pot shop
Originally Posted by Esox357

Wait til that marijuana is laced with fentanyl...

OR METH
Posted By: smokepole Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Great post.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Its a gateway drug for many. It shouldn’t be in a vehicle and DWI can kill somebody’s grandkids. It does have profound problems associated as its not the same weed as 1970.

Oddly this has been proven untrue. Other than maybe someone may meet a dealer that sells pot and coke/meth also. Smoking pot does not make you want to do harder drugs. As for driving under the influence of anything I am opposed to it strongly.

It is addictive, just look at the frequency of its use and just try to stop using it, you can’t.

Another proven untrue myth. More like people like to do things that feel good. Everyone who drinks is not an addict and alcohol is actually addictive to many. People with personalities that lean toward being addicted are the real problem.

If liberals push it like they do abortion and their other agendas then it must me a society killer.

Ahh the biggie. What many don't understand is that one thing pot does is cause people to choose sides. Those that have tried it know it is not a society killer finding that assertion way to far from reality. So they choose the other side, the left. In fact the BS pushed about pot is one of the reasons we live in a divided society.

I personally don't feel I have the right to tell anyone how to live their life. If you want to ruin it that is none of my business. If I had to choose between my daughter smoking pot, drinking heavily or smoking I would choose pot every time. I would also prefer she not feel she had to hide from me over any of her problems.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
So none of those guys were homeless or taking a s*** on the street before the pot was legal then?

Nah. That’s after they blew all their money on dope. And lost interest in their job.
Originally Posted by flintlocke

Just as in alcohol one must learn moderation. The current high proof stuff just means less of it is needed to get the desired effect. If your personality leads you to chase the ceiling of whatever you are getting high on then yes you are going to be a fugged up individual. We all have known people like that and they are not all that common. One of the guys that practically lives at the VFW is that way, he is not happy until he feels no pain. He is a pain in the @ss but he is our pain in the @ss so we take care of him.
Originally Posted by SCgman1
How will the legalization of cannabis improve highway transportation for those of us who don't use pot and currently drive triggered dodging the present insanity using our highways?

Your lack of logic is revealing. It is illegal to drive impaired. People still do it but it is illegal. The thing about pot is that anyone who doesn't smoke can easily tell if someone has been getting high in a car, sometimes ten feet away from the car. point being they are easily caught and most pot smokers know this. It currently has been shown that the most dangerous person on the road is on engrossed in his or her cell phone. Texting or watching video's while driving is just about the most dangerous activity I can think of while driving. Being super drunk compares but not as many people do that.
Posted By: victoro Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21

What leads people to other drugs is that they have to buy it from a drug dealer. Pot is NOT addictive, is great pain reliever and great for reducing nausea (from chemotherapy). Should be able to grow it in your back yard (make moonshine if you want to).
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by victoro

What leads people to other drugs is that they have to buy it from a drug dealer. Pot is NOT addictive, is great pain reliever and great for reducing nausea (from chemotherapy). Should be able to grow it in your back yard (make moonshine if you want to).

You've never seen a pothead having withdrawal symptoms...
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by victoro

You've never seen a pothead having withdrawal symptoms...

True because it doesn't happen. I have seen people with "pot" hangovers.
Typical hypocritical rationale; “My drug of choice is OK but your drug of choice isn’t OK.” “I approve of my drug of choice but I don’t approve of your drug of choice.”

Yup

Define “stoned”

Not everyone who partakes goes about to smoke themselves retarded every afternoon. lol

Once a week binge bangers would/will do that.

A person like myself, a daily smoker would use to focus on a mundane job before me. A large task to be accomplished without a wandering mind.

Laying blocks, shingles, hanging drywall, bush hogging a 15-50 acre thicket, drilling and coring a few hundred concrete anchors...crap as such. I was doing the work and selling new work, dealing with subs, other contractors, phones and pagers going off all day.

A few bowls would tune a lot of the noise and demands of these peripheral distractions out. In order to get paid.

The moron laborers on my crew also high, didnt have those distractions. But they likely had their own. Like paying their $14 water bill, was I gonna front em $10 for a mtn dew and pack of smokes.

Jobs flowed smooth, deadlines were met.

I wouldn’t have an alcoholic on my jobsite. They were losers, always had baby mama drama, pending court issues and were mentally and physically sick and slow.

You’ve never seen a pothead having withdrawal symptoms...
How does it compare to an alcoholic in DT’s due to alcohol withdrawal…?

Yup

Define “stoned”

Not everyone who partakes goes about to smoke themselves retarded every afternoon. lol

Once a week binge bangers would/will do that.

A person like myself, a daily smoker would use to focus on a mundane job before me. A large task to be accomplished without a wandering mind.

Laying blocks, shingles, hanging drywall, bush hogging a 15-50 acre thicket, drilling and coring a few hundred concrete anchors...crap as such. I was doing the work and selling new work, dealing with subs, other contractors, phones and pagers going off all day.

A few bowls would tune a lot of the noise and demands of these peripheral distractions out. In order to get paid.

The moron laborers on my crew also high, didnt have those distractions. But they likely had their own. Like paying their $14 water bill, was I gonna front em $10 for a mtn dew and pack of smokes.

Jobs flowed smooth, deadlines were met.

I wouldn’t have an alcoholic on my jobsite. They were losers, always had baby mama drama, pending court issues and were mentally and physically sick and slow.

All things I can relate to other than the fact I am too much of a control freak to smoke pot or day drink.
Use of that garbage leads millions into a life of addiction and misery!
It’s a fart in a category 5 hurricane compared to the damage that alcohol use has caused.
The government has been fighting a war against marijuana for nearly 85 years. And marijuana is still winning. Despite the government’s efforts, the government has still failed to reduce Americans’ consumption of the plant. In fact, it’s still on the rise. It’s a lost cause for anyone who still supports marijuanas’ prohibition.
They've been fighting a "war" against theft, murder, assault, etc for even longer. Should they just give up on those too?

ETA: I love how you call a ticket for possession "war". laugh laugh
Posted By: akasparky Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21

Non-existent, just stop and walk away from it.
On occasion the urge to partake may come about but nothing one could call a withdraw symptom.

Results for others could possibly vary.
They've been fighting a "war" against theft, murder, assault, etc for even longer. Should they just give up on those too?
So you’re comparing marijuana use to theft, murder, and assault.

shocker
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21

I've seen them suffer from some serious paranoia, become very combative. They have to run out and smoke joint, when they come back they're relaxed and meek as can be.

Had one pothead in the shop setting up a part in a mill. He had it "C" clamped to a couple of angle plates, he was going to use a 4" carbide facemill that had six indexable inserts. We normally ran it at 800rpm & 25ipm feedrate, pretty heavy of a depth of cut. Well the pothead started up the spindle BACKWARDS and hit the table feed lever. Cutter hits the part and the set-up is blown completely off the table. Me and another toolmaker are rolling around on the floor laughing our a$$es off, pothead picks up a lead hammer and says he's gonna kill me. I take a couple steps towards him and tell him he's gonna die trying. Pothead drops the hammer, leaves the shop and burns a number in his car. Comes back to the shop and all is good...

He wasn't the only one I knew that couldn't go 4~5 hours without burning one.

A ticket is just a minor part.

Cost/benefit analysis would likely show that the overall "war" on drugs has not proven effective at preventing drug abuse or issues relating to it.
The war that I referred to has, for many decades, imposed strict mandatory sentences for marijuana offenses. There are still about 40,000 people incarcerated for marijuana offenses. That’s a helluva lot more than just “a ticket for possession.”

The alcohol industry opposes marijuana legalization; the private prison industry opposes marijuana legalization; and the pharmaceutical companies oppose marijuana legalization.

I've seen them suffer from some serious paranoia, become very combative. They have to run out and smoke joint, when they come back they're relaxed and meek as can be.

Had one pothead in the shop setting up a part in a mill. He had it "C" clamped to a couple of angle plates, he was going to use a 4" carbide facemill that had six indexable inserts. We normally ran it at 800rpm & 25ipm feedrate, pretty heavy of a depth of cut. Well the pothead started up the spindle BACKWARDS and hit the table feed lever. Cutter hits the part and the set-up is blown completely off the table. Me and another toolmaker are rolling around on the floor laughing our a$$es off, pothead picks up a lead hammer and says he's gonna kill me. I take a couple steps towards him and tell him he's gonna die trying. Pothead drops the hammer, leaves the shop and burns a number in his car. Comes back to the shop and all is good...

He wasn't the only one I knew that couldn't go 4~5 hours without burning one.

Ever consider that the pothead in question may have been paranoid, or on the way to becoming so, before he ever smoked the first joint? And that perhaps the pot was keeping him from going completely off his rocker.

But, the drug companies and script writers would never tell you that.

And why, if you knew he was a pothead like that, would you folks still have him working in your shop and possibly destroying equipment and or injuring self/others?
Cost/benefit analysis would likely show that the overall "war" on drugs has not proven effective at preventing drug abuse or issues relating to it.
It’s been an abysmal failure. Absolutely and completely. Overwhelmingly so.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
I error on the side of Liberty.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by rickt300

Your lack of logic is revealing. It is illegal to drive impaired. People still do it but it is illegal. The thing about pot is that anyone who doesn't smoke can easily tell if someone has been getting high in a car, sometimes ten feet away from the car. point being they are easily caught and most pot smokers know this. It currently has been shown that the most dangerous person on the road is on engrossed in his or her cell phone. Texting or watching video's while driving is just about the most dangerous activity I can think of while driving. Being super drunk compares but not as many people do that.

I was thinking more along the lines of driving while still high from earlier use........not smoking while driving....

I'm not a user so no......I cant apply a ton of logic......that's why I asked the question.
Posted By: Llama_Bob Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
I've never in my life seen pot work out well for anyone. The best outcome seems to be [bleep] job performance and underemployment. On the worse end of the spectrum is pretty severe mental illness, family instability, etc.
It’s been an abysmal failure. Absolutely and completely. Overwhelmingly so.

ssshhh,

it's an evil weed.

roots in hell like the movie points out.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
Mike s: In my almost 30 years of dealing with drug addicts, drug dealers and drug crazed prostitutes/criminals as a LEO - I never came across one that did not start out as a "Cannabis" user!
Cannabis is a gateway drug and has NO positive long term effects on the human body or the human psyche.
Indeed some choose to become blotto by ingesting cannabis to "relieve pain" and I feel sorry for them and that necessity.
I have NEVER and will NEVER use the mary jane for any reason nor condone it for any of my family!
PERIOD!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: akasparky Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/02/21
It’s a fart in a category 5 hurricane compared to the damage that alcohol use has caused.

Most accurate post in the thread.
Posted By: victoro Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/03/21
"Cannabis is a gateway drug"

No more so than alcohol and nicotine (both very addictive) which are much easier to get.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/03/21
It's been on-the-books legal in AK since 2014 and defacto-legal through the state courts for about 30+ years pre-2014. I just came back inside from a trips out the the airstrip a few minutes ago and as near as I could tell, the sky was still located where it has always been. Legalizing weed has freed us up to attend other matters. Of course enforcement wasn't a priority to begin with anyway.

In my 30-odd years in LE I have yet to encounter a stoner who pulled a knife gun, bat, 2x4 on me or otherwise tried to kick my a$$. I can't count how many drunks I had to physically hurt and draw blood to subdue in the same number of years.
Posted By: Jackson_Handy Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/03/21
Never used it. Have no interest in using it. I couldn't care less if other people use it in their own home

But if you haven't witnessed someone eat an entire bag of edibles you should, it's phuuckking awesome........"it's just weed" turns into "is he on pcp?". Pretty cool stuff...for the sober, not the fella tripping balls.

While I don't care if people smoke meth, heroin, or weed. Let's not act like any of those substances can't render the user incapable of operating a M.V. or making sound decisions....just like alcohol.

But if you want, smoke all you can. Especially fentanyl laced varieties, it's more better.
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/03/21

It's all addictive to some degree or another depending on the person and what it is, dosage, motivation and various other factors. The mother has a right to her feelings about her son since she cares about him and raised him.
That said, many women are prone to inappropriate reactions to these things, just as many men are. Rather than going to her husband and son about this, many would get on the megaphone and cry to her Girlfriends about it for sympathy and emotional support. Before you know it, she just trashed her son's reputation and limited his employment opportunities.
Gossip and railing accusations are common reactions that feminine emotional wrecks use all the time. Ever notice the trolls around here? They are exhibiting these feminine traits of insecurities as they lash out.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/03/21
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've never in my life seen pot work out well for anyone. The best outcome seems to be [bleep] job performance and underemployment. On the worse end of the spectrum is pretty severe mental illness, family instability, etc.

3.8 undergrad Geosciences
home mortgage paid off age 29
retired at 48

self manage paid-off investment properties part time now

chronic daily smoker for apprx 8 years during college and owner/operator of two sole proprietorships

Yeah, it’s a horrible thing to some mole from Salmon or Storm Lake

Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/03/21

retired at 48

chronic daily smoker for apprx 8 years during college and owner/operator of two sole proprietorships

Like any medication I believe it affects different people individually. The second to the last boss I worked for was a mechanical engineer by education. Borderline genius on the concept and processes of cold-motor testing of gas auto engines. He knew exactly what the test results indicated and what the issues were. Jewish by birth but not a staunch practitioner, he was a diehard conservative (maybe the weed?). His issue was that while being a great engineer he was a poor maintenance supervisor which he freely admitted.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/03/21
Originally Posted by JeffA
Sure ruined this guy's life.

He'd probably be worth 600 billion instead of a measly 300 billion if he didn't smoke pot.

And we'd already have a growing Mars colony by now instead of remotely flying helicopters on it.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/03/21
Would you rather your adult children be addicted to nicotine or alcohol, or smoke the occasional joint?

None of the above.
Posted By: LoadClear Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/03/21
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Mike s: In my almost 30 years of dealing with drug addicts, drug dealers and drug crazed prostitutes/criminals as a LEO - I never came across one that did not start out as a "Cannabis" user!
Cannabis is a gateway drug and has NO positive long term effects on the human body or the human psyche.
Indeed some choose to become blotto by ingesting cannabis to "relieve pain" and I feel sorry for them and that necessity.
I have NEVER and will NEVER use the mary jane for any reason nor condone it for any of my family!
PERIOD!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

It is only a gateway to breaking the law (that’s actually a big step to take for a lot of people). It is definitely NOT a gateway to harder drugs in and of itself.

It’s a tired argument that lacks logic.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/03/21

retired at 48

Geosciences???

No way.
Posted By: BobMt Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/03/21
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I was smoking weed when I was 22 and look how I turned out.

based on this moving personal testimony ....I am now in the camp of banning satan's smoke....bob
Posted By: BobMt Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/03/21
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
OP has a future in fiction writing.

good to see someone else sees that....everybody else is to stoned to make that astute observation....bob
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/03/21
Originally Posted by 280shooter
I error on the side of Liberty.
License is not liberty.
Posted By: killerv Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/03/21
If mom is still supporting him, paying car insurance, whatever....she has every right to have a say in it. I know 22 year olds that are far from being an adult.
Posted By: JeffP Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/03/21
Originally Posted by killerv
If mom is still supporting him, paying car insurance, whatever....she has every right to have a say in it. I know 22 year olds that are far from being an adult.

And if she’s not?
Posted By: 673 Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/03/21
Gotta smoke a big fatty and re-read this thread.
Posted By: deflave Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/03/21
1.) If my mother went through my POV I'd punch her in the mouth.

2.) If my neighbor told me his sob stories I would mock him until he killed himself.

3.) People that concern themselves with marijuana have lived sheltered lives and are not to be heard.

Nothing further.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/04/21

I was thinking more along the lines of driving while still high from earlier use........not smoking while driving....

I'm not a user so no......I cant apply a ton of logic......that's why I asked the question.

Rest assured pot smokers stink the whole 20 minutes they are high.

Any evidence of severe mental illness? Family instability? Link from an unbiased source would be nice.

I know 35 year olds that are far from being adult that never did any drugs at all!
Posted By: DMc Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/04/21

I know 35 year olds that are far from being adult that never did any drugs at all!

Amen to that.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/04/21
Does anyone even care? It's a stupid idea to smoke that [bleep] due to all the carcinogens it contains. Edibles would be a much better plan; but do as you like. Just don't affect me and we'll be fine.
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Does anyone even care? It's a stupid idea to smoke that [bleep] due to all the carcinogens it contains. Edibles would be a much better plan; but do as you like. Just don't affect me and we'll be fine.

Actually pot smoke is pretty benign compared to tobacco smoke. Edibles don't have the stink though.
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Cannabis Hysteria - 11/04/21
I never have fooled with the stuff and as far as I know it is still illegal in these parts .
© 24hourcampfire