I was shooting at the State Game Lands on the 25 yd range because I had been messing with the sights. I had 2 big pieces of paper up besides my target. Rod went sideways through the target and the rubber backer. I saw a long narrow disturbed area in the sand behind the target butt. Ramrod was about 2 inches in, still more or less sideways. That backer gets a lot of handgun use, it was starting to resemble swiss cheese. And it could have been angling rather than totally sideways. But still...

The bullet hit the target too, about 6 inches low and a couple of inches left. I might have got my deer!

Recoil was definitely more than usual but the normal load is pretty mild. I guess it was similar to my 99 in 358 or Kimber in 30-06.

Yep, Pyrodex. I use 4f BP in the pan but have been using loose pyrodex in the barrel since I got the gun 10 years or so ago. Have fired it many times after hunting in our late flintlock season, it's always gone bang, even on days when temps are in the teens. I know many here say BP only in a flint but this one is designed for Pyrodex pellets. I was leery of that and decided to hedge my bet with loose. Seems to be working.

Dale

This space for rent