Originally Posted by Dale K
I heard back from the folks at Traditions. They strongly suggest having it checked by a competent gunsmith. Said it's possible the ramrod could have damaged the barrel or the internals. I'm guessing by internals they mean the removable breech plug. I'm not sure how an aluminum rod would damage a steel barrel but it's not a bad idea. Smith is only about 10 minutes from my house.

Dale

Legally - Traditions couldn’t tell you anything else, as noted above.

You’d be looking for bulge in the barrel, or if any of the metal from the seater came off in the barrel while the rod was departing.

Given the load, unless it’s an exceptionally heavy ramrod - you’re most likely fine.

You’ll want to pay attention when you load your next loads for any spots with hard resistance in the bore - could be scoring from the ramrod or metal shaved off of it - or you hit a spot in the barrel that suddenly gets very easy to load past.

I bought used Knight that had a slight bulge - wasn’t obvious from the outside, but you’d get spot just before getting to charge that was near finger light to get past.

Looking from the breech - you could finally see a slight shadow ring where the bulge was. It was used, so no way to determine what happened in the past.

It’s possible you may have cracked a thread on the breech plug, but I’d bet if you do a detailed inspection - you most likely didn’t, especially since it’s coming out like normal.

Last edited by AH64guy; 11/12/21.