Originally Posted by 45_100
Several months ago I decided to learn how to sharpen a knife. I have worn out several knives trying to sharpen them and was never satisfied with the results. I have a Lansky sharpening set and realized how sharp a knife can be but it is not always handy or feasible. I am by no means an expert or even very good at it. After using stones to acquire an edge, hones are the next step. I like diamond hones. The one referenced above at Amazon works well. I also have a razor hone like barbers used to use. It is a very fine stone, not a strop. If I don't let the edge get too bad I can restore it with a hone and a leather strop. I have not been satisfied with ceramic or steel. I know butchers use a steel all the time and keep their knives very sharp. I have just not acquired that talent, yet.

Your post count would indicate that you have been around the 'fire long enough to realize that to admit to not being an expert at, or even very good at, sharpening knives is simply not done.
wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.