My son was drawn for a youth hunt through Texas P&W this year. Thought I'd post a little breakdown of how it went. We camped on site and hunted an afternoon-all day-a morning. 7-08 with 140grain Fusions.

First afternoon.

We got there early, set up camp, got checked in, and started hunting at 1. After about an hour a little buck came out and we watched him for quite a while. Then at 2:40 this guy stepped out. There wasn't any question of if we'd shoot him or not and the trigger was pulled at 2:41.

We waited 20 minutes and walked over to where the buck was standing and found a lot of blood then waited 10 more minutes and started tracking. The kid did all of the tracking, which wasn't hard, but he was finding the little stuff along with what was obvious. After about 50 yards we found him bedded down, facing away from us. He was stone dead but sure looked like he was ready to get up and run.

Where he was bedded with his antlers caught in the brush.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The shot was at 35 yards and he was quartering at us at a very steep angle. The shot entered the shoulder, broke two ribs, penetrated the heart and one lung and there were two holes in the stomach. I dug around for the bullet but couldn't find it. It didn't make it to the ham.

Since it was so early in the afternoon we field dressed him, got him back to the checkin station, skinned, and in the walk in cooler with an hour left to hunt. So, back out we went.

Just before dark this hog came walking down the same trail as the big buck. He knew something was up and stopped, looking right at us. With not much to aim for the kid just shot him in the face. It was effective. The bullet didn't exit but we gave the hog away to someone else and don't know how far it penetrated.

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 11/27/21.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling